Configure as synth - does what?

Terry Kelley

The setting isn't in the latest manual I have and it's skipped over in the VST configution section of the manual (pg 1036). What does it actually do?

I noticed that some FX plug-ins that use midi input need it while others don't. It also moves a plugin from the Insert Audio FX list to the Insert Soft Synth list. I was wondering why MHamonizer and Waves Harmony kept disappearing and found them in the Insert Soft Synth. Uncheck the box and they move back.

I want to understand exact what that setting does. I though it was essentially the same as enabling midi input but it has to go beyond that.

Thanks for any insight.

TBK

Since the addition of "Enable MIDI Input/Output" options in the VST standard plug-in header, changing FX to synths using "Configure as synth" is no longer necessary.

1 hour ago, TBK said:

The setting isn't in the latest manual I have and it's skipped over in the VST configution section of the manual (pg 1036). What does it actually do?

There is a section of the registry created by the VST scanner containing information about the VST plug-ins. One property stored in this part of the registry is whether or not the plug-in is a synth. Plug-ins identified as a synth

• are listed in the synth plug-in layouts
  • automatically have "Enable MIDI Input" turned on

Effects plug-ins are listed in the effects layout and default to disable MIDI input.

Prior to having MIDI I/O on the VST standard plug-in header (added in SONAT X3), configuring effects as synths in the plug-in properties was the only way, without hacking the registry to send MIDI data to effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1