Superior Drummer Cymbal Mute Discovered at last!

Keni

Whew...

This one was just driving me crazy.

I finally learned about it from someone's video where he mentions it getting in his way.

Superior Drummer uses key aftertouch to execute cymbal mutes!

This is gonna be very useful here as I’ve been using volume automation to achieve this...

...just thought I’d pass it on for others who might not be aware of this.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

There is also a mute articulation that you can apply that will silence a ringing cymbal and mute it like someone grabbing it.

Sounds handy. Will this mute a cymbal who’s note is finished while sustain continues?

The key aftertouch only activates during the note's length requiring drawing some very long notes.

Articulations. So I've finally found one I can use. Do you know where a list if articulations is available?

I’m facing a bit of a learning curve here for that as I used them sparingly long ago and haven’t approached Cake's articulation mapping yet

... edit

Hmmm. I see I need to find/create an articulation map for this? I have yet to find any mention of the defaults anywhere. None in the content forum here either. Learning curve is getting bigger. Off for more searching.

Edited by Keni

OK... I bashed against it long enough.

I have created an articulation map for SD3 that evokes the aftertouch mute for Crash 2&4 as well as Ride.

So far unsuccessful at muting the hat. Any hints would be helpful. Nothing I've tried has succeeded yet. I'm bashing at this as I don't really know what I'm doing, but I have managed to get some the above mentioned working fine.

I will share it as soon as I see how...

1 hour ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I would have to look at it again, not at my DAW, right now, but they way I do cymbal "chokes" or mutes is to have the cymbal play and then play the cymbal choke or mute articulation anytime during decay of the cymbal. It plays a sample that is the drummer grabbing the cymbal to mute it.

Yup... If working in midi list. The event needs to be either key or channel (some different characteristics fir each) aftertouch to trigger that sound.

In PRV, only channel aftertouch seems available via envelopes, but I’ve now created & posted Cakewalk Articulation Map to make it easy using key aftertouch inserted at each desired location. Much easier now. This has been irking me for quite some time now so I’m relieved to finally have an easy solution.

There's a link to the Articulate Map in the Content forum...

Edited by Keni