Track 2 picking up midi from recording in Track one (making horrible noise!) when trying to play back audio - why?

KinglyVale

Question

Hi all,

Just reinstalled windows recently and sorting out all my vsts and DAW - never had this issue before - but as I said my midi recording in track one is playing through all new instruments I add and I have no idea why, even though they're in a totally separate track. 

Help please?

I am a complete novice so no idea what to do.

Edit: Seems to be an issue only so far with Kontakt / Native instruments. I can overlay Spitfire LABS instruments without this issue.

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by KinglyVale
upload pic

7 answers to this question

Uncheck "Enable MIDI Output":

image.png.4dcd2b4929521e5c12b72a7d9e202609.png

What is happening is, the MIDI Output of track 1 is being fed to track 2.

You can stop this from happening in future, by clicking on the "Insert Synth Properties" button on the synth rack...

image.png.60edd0cddd41a5417ac00ebd21835a51.png

... then unchecking "Enable MIDI Output if Available":

image.png.6b6ec8340c9f395ad4a2bf8206d32ba1.png

4 hours ago, KinglyVale said:

don't even know what a 'Midi in' is.

This is referring to the Input (labeled 'I') in  a MIDI in Instrument track. Usually you want to set this to the specific port and channel that your keyboard/controller is on. Then it doesn't matter if MIDI messages are coming from other sources; they'll be ignored. If you don't explcitly set it, it will default to All Inputs - Omni (all channels), and the track will echo everything to the synth.

image.png.54fec0083bf6c354847a192a221b1b23.png

5 hours ago, KinglyVale said:

thanks. As I've never had this issue ,I don't even know what a 'Midi in' is. I am mostly an acoustic artist who just started in music production. Can you explain it in simpler terms or show screenshots? TY!

Just to add to what others have said: MIDI In[put] used to be where digital data came in from a MIDI Out[put].  MIDI = Musical Instrument Digital Interface - a way that MIDI devices could communicate.  To put it simply MIDI sequencers (which later became DAWs) could record and playback MIDI data -- from MIDI hardware via a computer's MIDI In[put] to MIDI hardware via a computer's MIDI Out[put]. 

That was back in the '80s and it has gotten more complex since then. It has gotten so that many people say "synth" or "instrument" when referring to software / virtual synths (such as VSTs, Plug-ins, etc.).

MIDI routing that used to be easy to see because we all used cables is now harder to see because its all inside (hidden, under the hood, in the box, etc.).

I don't have/use Kontakt but the others are giving you insights that should help get rid of MIDI feedback.  Its sort of like feedback from acoustic instruments going into a mic which is going into an amp which is going back into the mic, etc.  Only its MIDI data in a feedback loop inside the box.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed some typos and emphasized a couple of key terms

On 10/29/2022 at 10:23 PM, msmcleod said:

Uncheck "Enable MIDI Output":

image.png.4dcd2b4929521e5c12b72a7d9e202609.png

What is happening is, the MIDI Output of track 1 is being fed to track 2.

You can stop this from happening in future, by clicking on the "Insert Synth Properties" button on the synth rack...

image.png.60edd0cddd41a5417ac00ebd21835a51.png

... then unchecking "Enable MIDI Output if Available":

image.png.6b6ec8340c9f395ad4a2bf8206d32ba1.png

thanks so much! I did manage to fix it by another method (not even sure what I did but I fiddle with midi outputs)

But I will bank this info too.