Weird Issues With Quantize & Piano Roll

Thomas Sneddon

I've been having a lot of trouble laying down drum tracks & even when I do enough takes to get the timing reasonably tight in real time....when I go to quantize it, it makes the timing much worse. Also....I've tried using the piano roll window to manually fix the notes(when I click on a single note to move it, all of the other notes move along with it...really?) I've never had these problems in any other DAW I've used....so I can only assume that since I am still new to Cakewalk, I must be doing something wrong....but what?

The only reason I sought  out a new DAW and stumbled upon Cakewalk, is due to the fact that my Reason 10 DAW does not recognize any of my AAS plugins.....so when I began having the aforementioned issues with Cakewalk, I tried using the open source LMMS(which I didn't care for & I deleted it).....then I tried Tracktion Waveform and it was buggy as hell & I deleted that as well. 

I even considered Behringer's Energy XT DAW....but their 64bit version is still in the alpha testing mode and xtsware.com, has acquired the rights to this DAW.

24 minutes ago, Thomas Sneddon said:

I've been having a lot of trouble laying down drum tracks & even when I do enough takes to get the timing reasonably tight in real time....when I go to quantize it, it makes the timing much worse. Also....I've tried using the piano roll window to manually fix the notes(when I click on a single note to move it, all of the other notes move along with it...really?) I've never had these problems in any other DAW I've used....so I can only assume that since I am still new to Cakewalk, I must be doing something wrong....but what?

The only reason I sought  out a new DAW and stumbled upon Cakewalk, is due to the fact that my Reason 10 DAW does not recognize any of my AAS plugins.....so when I began having the aforementioned issues with Cakewalk, I tried using the open source LMMS(which I didn't care for & I deleted it).....then I tried Tracktion Waveform and it was buggy as hell & I deleted that as well. 

I even considered Behringer's Energy XT DAW....but their 64bit version is still in the alpha testing mode and xtsware.com, has acquired the rights to this DAW.

Please disregard this post, as for some reason, my buffer setting was set at 2048(somehow...it reverted back to this setting, as I previously had it set at 512.)

Edited by Thomas Sneddon

A long buffer definitely makes it hard to record to time!

4 hours ago, Thomas Sneddon said:

Also....I've tried using the piano roll window to manually fix the notes(when I click on a single note to move it, all of the other notes move along with it...really?) I've never had these problems in any other DAW I've used....so I can only assume that since I am still new to Cakewalk, I must be doing something wrong....but what?

What's going on here is that you have the whole section selected, so when you try to move a single note, all the selected notes move also.  I've gotten in the habit of hitting Ctl-Shift-A on my keyboard every time I go to manipulate a single note on the piano roll, if  I think there might be other stuff selected.  Ctl-Shift-A is the shortcut to deselect everything.