Abnormally High Input Volume

AsYouCanSee

I use an audio-technica AT2020 microphone plugged into Scarlett Solo audio interface connected via USB to my computer. This works for all of my programs without issue, having a normal output for all of my other programs that accepts the mic. This leads me to believe the problem lies in Cakewalk. Earlier I noticed that in order to get the mic at a reasonable volume in Cakewalk, I had to adjust the gain on my interface to be as low as it can possibly go, practically mute for any other program. I thought it was odd and inconvenient, but not anything that I cannot work around. Today however, I tried to record and was hit with volume so high nothing was actually audible, just the vague sound of my own breathing. I adjusted the gain, but even at it's quietest the audio is completely unintelligible and unusable. I reset config and it did nothing. If anyone can help me understand how this could have happened and how I can fix it, it would much appreciated.

Edited by AsYouCanSee

I have indeed put on phantom power. Like I said, it worked perfectly fine for all other programs, leading me to believe that it's a problem unique to Cakewalk. I've been using Cakewalk for a year and it has never had this issue until recently.

Edited by AsYouCanSee

Cakewalk has no control to raise or lower input volume. That can only be changed by the interface.

However, if you are using Input Echo to monitor the track, anything in that tracks controls from the Pro Channel to the Fader can potentially raise the volume of the output. So, the question is, what is the level of the clip you have recorded?

I had that problem once when I accidentally enabled input echo for all tracks at once. Is input echo enabled only for the track you are recording? Also, is the volume excessive only in your monitoring, or does the track meter also show a very high level?

All of this is covered in detail in the videos. Input echo should not be used on audio tracks while tracking. You use your interfaces direct monitoring so as to eliminate the delay caused by system latency.  Using direct monitoring allows you to accurately monitor the recorded signal.  You would only use input echo if you are recording to a Guitar Sim. 

The Scarlett Solo is a very limited interface and is missing a few important features like input PAD. There is also no Mixer control for direct monitoring.  Possibly this is done in the software mixer?  The Focusrite Control.   Not sure if the new models include the Software mixer but my Scarlett 6i6 has a toggle for PAD in the software mixer. 

Edited by Cactus Music