Strange panning problem

Andrew Rutley

I have a problem when I export a hard panned track (like cymbals). Say I have a stereo audio track like this with sound only on the left channel, all good so far.panning1.jpg.6020679d79052a48e520037c8b244491.jpg

Then I export it as part of a mix, now it looks like thispanning2.jpg.fc87eec880cdd97f73c53d0927705768.jpg

It has changed to stereo and there is sound in both channels. The only time this doesn't happen is if I export only TRACK instead of ENTIRE MIX, but this is of no use for mastering. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Andrew Rutley

3 minutes ago, Andrew Rutley said:

I tried bypassing the FX on the master bus and it solved the issue, but it's not really a solution because for mastering I will need to have the masterbus FX active not bypassed

What FX are on the Master, and are there any Sends on the track in question to other buses? Clearly some FX downstream of the track is adding right-channel information. It looks like an exact copy of the left channel which suggests maybe the FX is mono-only so the same signal gets sent to both ouput channels of the bus. You'd have to hard-pan that bus to get the desired result.

It might help to understand what the ultimate goal is. Are you exporting stems to be mixed and mastered in another program/environment? Normally you would have everything routed to some intermediate bus and export those buses, bypassing any FX on the Master. But you'll still have the issue of mono-only FX producing a centered output.

1 hour ago, Andrew Rutley said:

Say I have a stereo audio track like this with sound only on the left channel, all good so far.

Going back to this earlier statement and the related screenshot, I'm gathering you recorded a mono input to a stereo track to begin with. This isn't causing the problem per se  but it complicates the understanding of how FX will behave. Ideally you should first bounce that track to Split Mono with no FX active, delete the empty right-channel track, and start over with the remaining mono clip on a mono track with FX moved to that track.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1