IK Multimedia Introduces MODO DRUM - Modeled Drums

Reid Rosefelt

On 6/20/2019 at 5:12 AM, cclarry said:

Yep...the very LAST thing that anyone could need...at an exorbitant price...

I'm not coming in quite as hot as Lars but... I have made my choice with SD3, EZD2,  and all the Native Instruments Drums (Best one is Abbey Road 50's).  Even if this sounds great I can't see going for it. I hope IK does well with this but I can't see many "old timers" getting hot for this.  If this beats SD3 and BFD and the others I will admit I was wrong. BFD fans love it and I think SD3 is one of the best things to come out in the last 4 years or so, maybe ever. I dont see how it will compete with them so it will have to carve out its own spot.

It may be aimed at a different demographic than the old farts that that make up a large part of the people who hang around here. I'm actually a bit puzzled by this move.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Greg said:

I don't think feature wise anything is even close to Superior Drummer 3. What I also like about SD 3 is that it gets updated regularly.  

We of course did a competitive analysis including SD3 (as any serious company would do) and we absolutely offer as much if not more (like the infinite velocity layers, kick beater topology modeling, stick type modeling, 20-piece vs 16-piece kit  max # of elements, etc) and we'll update it as necessary but note that with modeling you'll find less rampant updating is necessary as with companies like AAS etc who mostly rely on major release updates because that's really what's mostly necessary.

Glad you are happy with their product, though.  I like what they do too. 

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia

Hi Peter,

I am looking at the specs for MODO Drums and it says that 20Gb of hard drive space is needed. 

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mododrum/index.php?p=specs 

I thought that one of the advantages of modeling is that you don't need lots of space to store samples (which is one of the reasons I like MODO Bass).

Is that information correct or is the space used to store something else?

Thanks

50 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Hi Peter,

I am looking at the specs for MODO Drums and it says that 20Gb of hard drive space is needed. 

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mododrum/index.php?p=specs 

I thought that one of the advantages of modeling is that you don't need lots of space to store samples (which is one of the reasons I like MODO Bass).

Is that information correct or is the space used to store something else?

Thanks

I didn't consider the storage space issue. It would sure be an advantage on a laptop. If I recall, SD3 was over 250GB.

• Great Idea 1

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, msmcleod said:

All my jam points have expired :(

I had $52 in Jampoints (before I purchased MIDI Drum). I got an email today that said they will expire on July 1.

Now I have $82 and nothing left to buy (since I own every VST and VSTi they make). I'm mildly interested n AXE IO but not desperate for it. $349.99 - $82 = $267.99. Hardly worth the effort. And... not sure what I really get with that since I rarely play guitar with the "virtual bands" I'm in.

Edited by Bapu

I just spent all I could on Gear Credits, and now I'm left with a new batch of $43 Jampoints. It's a vicious cycle I tell ya.

On the plus side with the 67 Jampoints I got 300 Gear credits for $158 in cash. Not too shabby if they can be use down the road for something worthwhile. The only stuff I don't own in the Custom shop is the Sample Tank Extras; none of which I am interested in because of the genre or wha I already have covered elsewhere.. 

Edited by Bapu

On 6/20/2019 at 8:42 AM, Greg said:

ers will also receive an automatic coupon for $/€50 off the Crossgrade version. Just be sure you are logged in on our site and add the item to your cart.

I am intrigued. As a dedicated SD3 user, it would have to be very good to compete with SD3.  I am, however, an enthusiastic user of the Modo Bass, which I got at a great promo price in the early days of it's launch. I also have other physically modeled instruments I love, such as Pianoteq and AAS Lounge Lizard, for examples. Physically modeled virtual instruments have a couple of advantages over sampled VST's. One is the smaller footprint and faster load times. The other, more importantly, is that a physical model simulates real world playing better than samples. A recorded sample is just that, a recording that cannot be altered, just processed. However, a physically modeled instrument can predict variations in performance on the fly and provide greater variety of articulations, in that a human being will never hit the keys/drums/cymbals/guitar/bass strings the same each time, and will vary the articulation either purposefully or randomly. Samples w round-robin are great, too, but still limited; and I believe (not absolutely sure of this) that the variations are virtually limitless in a physically modeled instrument. Mathematics algorithms are used to produce the variations (if your arm is getting fatigued you might hit the strings with less force or at a different angle, for example). It sounds crazy, but I believe it is the future of VST's. I will always use and enjoy both types of virtual instruments, but MODO bass convinced me that IK can do the job well enough to risk the expenditure (it would be $150 for me as a MODO bass user). Still mulling it over, and don't know when the actual release is scheduled, but I'm inclined to give this a whirl.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, Matthew Sorrels said:

20gigs has to be more than just samples for the cymbals.  Maybe it's a hybrid modeler/sampler for everything.

IDK, since Waves came out with 14gb samples for Bass Fingers, this may be the 'Wave' of the future?

punin10'd

Edited by Grem