Inspector Options

Mark Morgon-Shaw

Since I moved from 8.5 straight to CBB I have found the width of the Inspector too large..it's more than double the old size and eats up valuable track view space because it displays the buss as well as the track channel and also the Pro Channel view is huge.

Although you can drag the track  pane over it to reduce it back down to normal size as soon as you use the Pro Channel etc  it pops back out again 

I would like to call for the reinstatement of a slim Inspector that is fully functional , I don't need to see the buss channel strip, just the channel but if I want to use any other function I would like it to remain slim and not pop out. 

You could make this function via making the 'collapse ' button a 3 stage cyle - Full - Skinny - Collapsed

I can even argue than in it's fully collasped state it's currently wide enough to host a meter - fader - and some buttons ( i.e. solo / mute /  polarity )..ideal for laptops etc where the largest display is not available

Edited by CosmicDolphin
  • Like 1

Just curious - how would Pro Channel modules display in a thin version?   There just doesn't seem to be enough room for the knobs and other UI objects when looking at the width of the track alone.   I suppose the same goes for the Clip and Track properties - the text for those would have to be either much smaller or squashed into two lines.   

12 hours ago, SteveC said:

Just curious - how would Pro Channel modules display in a thin version? 

All this currently exists . The channel strip can already display the EQ plot with nodes that you can grab.

The console strip can show " assignable controls " for anything  in the FX bin so you get 4 parameters  per plugin without opening the full GUI.   So you would just replace 3rd party plugins with your Pro Channel Modules and use the same method. Works really well and is ideal on laptop screens etc. 797f816efec01332c6a97798eb3e831f.png.860df61d24b15a9fd3c4a161255de530.png

Edited by CosmicDolphin

• 2 weeks later...

Right...   aside from the EQ I was thinking about the other available PC modules.    Since PC modules are VSTs but use a custom non-standard UI I guess they'd need a secondary UI as well for the thin version - the four default controls would have to be chosen for each module.   

2 hours ago, SteveC said:

Right...   aside from the EQ I was thinking about the other available PC modules.    Since PC modules are VSTs but use a custom non-standard UI I guess they'd need a secondary UI as well for the thin version - the four default controls would have to be chosen for each module.   

i think those four controls are called ' handles ' ..don't quote me on it..you can see those little black sticky out parts...but each module ( apart from the EQ)  would just have it's four most popular parameters assigned to the 4 handles.. also you can already customize the 4 default handles to control whatever parameter you want so it's easliy do-able.  

Actually, if the thin version was simply a copy of what you see in the channel strip, but just for the current track & it's bus it would probably work.

That way you'd have:

• Very Thin PC - same as "Narrow Strips" in channel strip
  • Thin PC - same as normal channel strip
  • Full PC - normal ProChannel

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 1/23/2019 at 12:27 AM, msmcleod said:

Actually, if the thin version was simply a copy of what you see in the channel strip, but just for the current track & it's bus it would probably work.

That way you'd have:

Yes I believe that would be ideal . Better still it all exists already. It just needs displaying elsewhere..consistency of GUI is important to workflow 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2019 at 7:27 PM, msmcleod said:

That way you'd have:

If this were implemented, it would be nice if the "use-width-from-the-corresponding-console-channel-strip-width" were (1) optional and (2) off by default.  Otherwise, it seems to me that the width of the ProChannel strips would change constantly to match the width of the corresponding console channel strip.

Perhaps the options (if implemented) could be:

• Console - uses the width of the corresponding console channel strip
  • Narrow - same as "Narrow Strips" in channel strip
  • Normal - same as normal channel strip
  • Double Wide - normal ProChannel