Jump to content
Ricky Wayne Hunt

Making suggestions to improve Cakewalk

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

How/where do I make suggestions for program changes?

Here are a few of mine.  Please  respond if you would like these features too (or if they already exist)

Program Request

  • FX Rack
    • Create a shortcut key ("D"?) when deleting a plugin from the rack instead of having to move the mouse down to "delete" each time.
    • Option to “clear” the tracks rack of all plugins, like the "bypass fx rack" option.

Cakewalk Plug Manager Requests

  • Drag + modifier key to copy a plugin to another folder instead of move
  • Add a Search box for finding plugins within the menus
  • Fix error: In the menu when trying to select all the plugins (to move, delete, etc.) it always leaves on plugin "unselected". If you click on the unselected plugin it will unselect another plugin from your selection
  • Make the separator have an editable name. For example, I could rename a separator "----- Opto Compressions ----" and have my plugins by type of compressor with a single folder (instead of having to make a folder for each one). As it is now I have to rename EACH plugin and tack an "Opto" onto each plugin.

 

Thanks for your time!!!

Edited by Ricky Wayne Hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:

How/where do I make suggestions for program changes?

This is the right place, it migh be easier to split them up and make one post per request. A lot of folks add FR : to indicate Feature Request to the post title

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • FX Rack
    • Create a shortcut key ("D"?) when deleting a plugin from the rack instead of having to move the mouse down to "delete" each time.
    • Option to “clear” the tracks rack of all plugins, like the "bypass fx rack" option.

 

D is already a default shortcut for the Dock, but if you right click on the plugin you can press D once the menu pops up and it will jump to Delete, then just hit enter. You can get pretty quick at this with practice and it's faster than using the mouse I find.

Remove all FX plugins would be a nice option to have in the menu

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • Drag + modifier key to copy a plugin to another folder instead of move

Can you clarify ? Do you mean between track folders or the plugin layout category folders in the browser ? 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • Add a Search box for finding plugins within the menus

Learn to use the Browser instead of the insert FX menu

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • Fix error: In the menu when trying to select all the plugins (to move, delete, etc.) it always leaves on plugin "unselected". If you click on the unselected plugin it will unselect another plugin from your selection

Not sure which menu you mean - can you clarify ?

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • Make the separator have an editable name. For example, I could rename a separator "----- Opto Compressions ----" and have my plugins by type of compressor with a single folder (instead of having to make a folder for each one). As it is now I have to rename EACH plugin and tack an "Opto" onto each plugin.

Again I would learn to use the browser it's much faster, you can make whatever categories you want without having to worry about separators and plugin layouts

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • FX Rack
    •  Create a shortcut key ("D"?) when deleting a plugin from the rack instead of having to move the mouse down to "delete" each time

If you left click on the plugin within the rack, and hold the left mouse button down, you can press the del key to delete the plugin.
 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • Option to “clear” the tracks rack of all plugins, like the "bypass fx rack" option.

The quickest way to do this I find is:
- Right click the fx rack header, and "Convert to FX chain" - this then becomes one composite plugin
- Click and hold the mouse button on the fx chain and press the del key (as described in the previous answer)
 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • Drag + modifier key to copy a plugin to another folder instead of move

CTRL + dragging a plugin will copy the plugin plus all it's current settings to the track you drop it on.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:

Cakewalk Plug Manager Requests

  • Add a Search box for finding plugins within the menus
  • Make the separator have an editable name. For example, I could rename a separator "----- Opto Compressions ----" and have my plugins by type of compressor with a single folder (instead of having to make a folder for each one). As it is now I have to rename EACH plugin and tack an "Opto" onto each plugin.

@Mark MoreThan-Shaw  had the right answer here - use the browser.
 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:
  • Fix error: In the menu when trying to select all the plugins (to move, delete, etc.) it always leaves on plugin "unselected". If you click on the unselected plugin it will unselect another plugin from your selection

This isn't an error.  The FX rack just doesn't support multiple selection.  If you need to move all the plugins, either:

1. Clone the track with FX
2. Convert the plugins to an FX Chain first, and move/copy that.  You can either leave it as an FX chain, or "Extract FX Chain Plugins" to separate them out again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you left click on the plugin within the rack, and hold the left mouse button down, you can press the del key to delete the plugin.
I meant on option where you could have a modifier key so you didn't have to move the mouse down and select delete. In a menu I don't think D would do anything else. I know it seems nit picky but it would make my job much easier

The quickest way to do this I find is:
- Right click the fx rack header, and "Convert to FX chain" - this then becomes one composite plugin
- Click and hold the mouse button on the fx chain and press the del key (as described in the previous answer)
 

CTRL + dragging a plugin will copy the plugin plus all it's current settings to the track you drop it on.


They ctrl+drag I was talking about is in the Plugin Manager.

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Mark MoreThan-Shaw  had the right answer here - use the browser.
 

This isn't an error.  The FX rack just doesn't support multiple selection.  If you need to move all the plugins, either:

1. Clone the track with FX
2. Convert the plugins to an FX Chain first, and move/copy that.  You can either leave it as an FX chain, or "Extract FX Chain Plugins" to separate them out again.

I was talking about in the Plugin Manager

7 hours ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

This is the right place, it migh be easier to split them up and make one post per request. A lot of folks add FR : to indicate Feature Request to the post title

D is already a default shortcut for the Dock, but if you right click on the plugin you can press D once the menu pops up and it will jump to Delete, then just hit enter. You can get pretty quick at this with practice and it's faster than using the mouse I find.

Remove all FX plugins would be a nice option to have in the menu

Can you clarify ? Do you mean between track folders or the plugin layout category folders in the browser ? 

In The Plugin Manager would be the ctr-drag. Now it only moves them.

Learn to use the Browser instead of the insert FX menu

That's what I do.

Not sure which menu you mean - can you clarify ?

Again I would learn to use the browser it's much faster, you can make whatever categories you want without having to worry about separators and plugin layouts

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion is to have a vertical scroll bar for the main Browser selected under the View Menu. I enter a lot of notes to keep track of changes I make and if the notes go far enough to go below the browser area you have to use the down arrow key to get to the end of the entered text.

Another option could be that the Mix stores all the notes pertinent to the mix so when you recall a past mix you have the information related to the mix that you're listening to. You probably need a  scroll bar even if this functionality was available.

Thanks

Roc

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ricky Wayne Hunt said:

That's what I do.

I am a bit confused.  You seem to say you do use the Browser but are requesting changes to the Plugin Manager ? 

If you already use the Browser then I can't see why you would use the Plugin Manager too. 

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

I am a bit confused.  You seem to say you do use the Browser but are requesting changes to the Plugin Manager ? 

If you already use the Browser then I can't see why you would use the Plugin Manager too. 

Sorry for the confusion! This has to do with strictly taking notes in the Notes section of the browser. I document many things in the Notes section about the mix version that I'm working. The notes get lengthy and there is no vertical scroll bar when the notes go past the bottom. 

Hope that helps! Thanks

Roc

Edited by rocstudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...