Clip names should stay visible and not get hidden behind the Track Header

Starship Krupa

I'll preface this by suggesting that this is probably one of those features that has been requested many times. But that doesn't mean the Cakewalk by BandLab developers remember everything from 5 years ago before the decks were washed clean, so here goes.

As long as I'm zoomed out to the point where the left edge of all clips is visible on screen, I can read the clip name and group number, which is important info (especially when comping from multiple takes). However, if I scroll to the right and/or zoom in enough that the left edge of a clip is no longer visible on screen, I can't read the clip info any more.

As in this screenshot, where I have a couple of clips that are in Group 3 and from the take "Record 2, Take 1." However, the clips in the lanes below them don't have this info available. Why, o why? I would like that information to be visible on the far left of the visible portion of every clip header, regardless of the position of the clip's left edge. It should scoot to the right as I scroll right or zoom in. It shouldn't get covered up or go away until the clip gets too narrow and there aren't enough pixels.

image.thumb.png.6daaa66b0469ca58baaebc601bf559c5.png

Please comment if you like this idea. If you don't like this idea, also please say why, unless the reason is "I think the developers should spend their person-hours on something else first."😄

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

On 4/9/2022 at 3:21 AM, sjoens said:

You want clip names to remain at the vertical audio scale bar when scrolling out or zooming in, instead of remaining at the beginning of the clip, so they won't disappear.

Well, specifically, I want them to be at the leftmost visible area of the clip header. So if a clip starts somewhere to right of the audio scale bar, it will show its name wherever it starts. That part is how it is now, and that's good, as shown in my screen grab.

However, if that area is "behind" the track headers, the clip/group name(s) should slide to the right to remain visible. There shouldn't be any circumstance, short of there not being enough room, where you can't see the clip name and/or group number. Basically, there's no good reason for them to disappear when the left edge of the clip scrolls off screen.

IMO, this would be a very useful enhancement to comping, especially with multiple tracks. When you're working multitracked grouped clips, it's important to know which groups (and takes) you're working with.

(most of my comping-related feature requests come up when I've tracked drums and am trying to edit the takes)

I've taken to hiding my Audio Scale with the shortcut Shift+S (get it? It Shifts the Scale out of sight!) so that I can have that little bit of real estate back and because the only thing I ever do with the Audio Scale is drag it up and down to change the size of events.

I've heard the starting point or left edge or whatever called "the wall," but there doesn't seem to be a canonical term for it in Cakewalkia. The Audio Scale is, technically, the element that's displayed immediately to the left of "the wall" in Cakewalk (unless I've Shifted it out of Sight).