Cakewalk Has Become A Nightmare

DallasSteve

Question

I've been using Cakewalk regularly for about 6 months.  I've completed one album and am almost complete with another.  About 2 weeks ago Cakewalk forced me to refresh my authorization.  To do that I had to upgrade Cakewalk.  I hadn't upgraded recently because it's a hassle, what I have is fine, and I don't care about their new features.  But they forced me to do so.  That's not so big a deal except their install wouldn't run on my computer.  I tried and it gave me some file error.  Then when I clicked through that it said I was out of disk space, which is ridiculous.  I have around 100 GB of free space on my disk and other installs have worked recently.  I contacted Cakewalk support and they sent me a link to the same install which I ran again and the same thing happened.  I asked them about the error message (screenshot below) and they ignored my further emails.  Today I was looking at my events list and all of my notes in my recently touched files have been moved back one tick.  I never nudge my clips or notes and there's no way I accidentally nudge 5 different files.  This is a big problem because when I use the Arranger to commit a new version of a song it cuts off the first note if it is one tick before the bar.  I just tried a new upgrade/re-install 5 minutes ago and it gave me the same out of space error, but the install completed and I was able to open Cakewalk.  I hope that will fix the one tick error, but it probably won't.  I won't waste my time contacting Cakewalk support because they are ignoring me. 

Is anybody else having a similar problem with install or events being nudged?

Do you have any other suggestions for my nightmare? 

I may eventually have to bite the bullet and buy a better DAW, but Cakewalk has served me well up to this point.

Cakewalk1.jpg

Cakewalk2.jpg

53 minutes ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

Hi🙂

With the Arranger you can involve notes that start earlier, from 1 tick up to 1 bar I think.

Bassman.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that they added some new options. I never really looked at the new features and left everything at the default. I'll have to look into it and see if that relates to what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the tip!

12 minutes ago, musekamp said:

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that they added some new options. I never really looked at the new features and left everything at the default. I'll have to look into it and see if that relates to what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the tip!

OK, I had the Arranger Section Overlap Threshold in the MIDI menu set to 1/4.
When I set it to "Off" this issue doesn't happen. I guess I'm going to have to spend some time learning how this works!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, musekamp said:

OK, I had the Arranger Section Overlap Threshold in the MIDI menu set to 1/4.
When I set it to "Off" this issue doesn't happen. I guess I'm going to have to spend some time learning how this works!

Thanks again.

That is strange, because I tried that setting too and still couldn't reproduce.

I'm sure there is something else at play here, because even with that setting it shouldn't be shifting things they way they were for you.

50 minutes ago, musekamp said:

Thanks for the tip!

Where are these Arranger options located in the menu?  I searched around and I haven't found any Arranger settings.  Wait.  I looked one more time and I found something under MIDI (screenshot below).  That seems like an odd place to put them, but OK.  Are there any other Arranger settings?

Cakewalk3.jpg

@DallasSteve I'm not sure. It looks like the enhancements I'm referring to were in the 2021.01 release.

I remember thinking at the time that I wouldn't use them so I didn't pay that much attention. But I'm going to spend some time going through the release notes this weekend. 

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/24957-202101-update-1-updated-29-jan-2021/&tab=comments#comment-206718

• Like 2