Is Audiosnap Broken?

sjoens

I have a 3-1/2 min song I want to set a project tempo to.

In Splat, following the online help for set project tempo from clip, works as advertised but with errors.

In CbB, following the online help for set project tempo from clip, which is the same, nothing happens.

The Melodyne "drag clip to time line" method works but also with errors.

Is Audiosnap broken or is there a better way to make a project follow clip tempo?

Edited by sjoens

CbB uses a different transient-detection algorithm by default. IIRC you can force it to use the old algorithm with an option in the Config File (AUD.INI). If AS was already enabled in a project saved from Platinum, you might need to set CbB to use the old algorithm if you don't first have it re-detect transients either by bouncing or by Re-compute Pictures. I haven't run into anything like this, but haven't had a need to Set Project in anything that dates to Splat era. I generally use Set Measure/Beat At Now anyway.

Following on my previous post, I did a quick test:

1. Found and old project from 2016 that was deliberately set up to test Set Project (last Splat was 2017.10).

2. Opened it in CbB, and it got a 'toast' notification that it was detecting transients - apparently because there were no files for the audio in the Picture Cache.

3. Executed Set Project without doing anything else and it worked as expected, resetting a 100bpm project to the 125bpm fixed tempo of the clip.

4. Closed the project and CbB without saving and deleted the relevant files from the Picture Cache.

5. Opened the project in Splat 17.10, to have it write the picture files, and executed Set Project with the same successful result.

6. Closed the project and Splat without saving.

7. Re-opened it in CbB, and confirmed it did not re-detect transients because the Splat-generated picture files were still in place.

8. Executed Set Project, and it still worked as expected.

I did not find anything in Aud,ini or Cakewalk,ini referencing the transient detection setting I mentioned so I think it must be the default. 

I just recorded a fresh click track for each scenario. And seems bouncing isn't necessary for step 3.

2 scenarios performed in SPlat  and CbB

Scenario 1

1. Open new project @120 bpm

2. Record metronome click track

3. Saved, closed & reopened project (not necessary in SPlat)

4. Changed project tempo to 85 bpm

5. Turned on AS and clicked Set Project from Clip

6. Project tempo changed to 60 bpm (60 in SPlat) :S

7. When bouncing & clicking AS Clip Follows Project nothing happens in CbB (same in SPlat) :S

Scenario 2 

1. Open new project @120 bpm

2. Record metronome click track

3. Slip-stretched audio to 75% (or 90 bpm) & bounced

4. Saved, closed & reopened project (not necessary in SPlat)

5. Turned on AS and clicked Set Project from Clip

6. AS reports Average Tempo 80 but project tempo changes to 79.99 bpm (79.98 in SPlat) :S

7. When bouncing & clicking AS Clip Follows Project nothing happens in CbB (SPlat doubles clip speed (240 bpm) but project & AS report 120:S

Unless something changed or I'm doing something wrong, Audiosnap is completely useless for me.