Jump to content
KSband

Layin' it Down

Recommended Posts

This is excellent! Great job, I love it. Suggestions? Keep posting more music! I was listening to your other songs you posted and enjoyed everything I heard. Really tasteful playing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot Hidden Symmetry, Pavlovs Cat and Jack! I just realized the congas cut short on the end so I fixed that, can't believe I didn't notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tasteful playing.   your guitar's tone was  great, what was your signal chain on that?

Edited by David Sprouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks David, I use a modded 65 dollar ebay strat straight into the focusrite. Using BiasFx2 plugin which includes a distortion box, auto wah, chorus, 69 Plexi amp then delay and reverb boxes.  The BiasFX is nice in that it includes a lot of classic Fx boxes. These plugins make it so easy to get decent sounds quick. I have some really nice home built tube amps and Fx but I would be spending all day trying to capture a good tone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds very cool, reminds me early Steely Dan. The guitar would benefit imo if less amp gain is used

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can hear the fingers attacking the bass strings. The bass is so very well articulated and recorded. Well done there.  Timing seems impeccable throughout the piece, great chops. Perhaps the drums could be a bit more present in the mix? That's about the only maybe crit I could offer. This is pretty stellar.

cheers,

-Tom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I wish I could get my bass to sound that good. The guitar tones are just perfect. I hear the Steely Dan influence in there too, and that's always a good thing.  Teensy, tiny nits:  my ear wanted to hear the song break out into a more riding groove with a sizzling solo but it's still nice the way it is, and some more variation in the drum parts and some additional fills to lift things up in later verses would imho take this to the next level. 

But really, it's quite awesome as it is.

Nice work, Kurt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Man, I wish I could get my bass to sound that good. The guitar tones are just perfect. I hear the Steely Dan influence in there too, and that's always a good thing.  Teensy, tiny nits:  my ear wanted to hear the song break out into a more riding groove with a sizzling solo but it's still nice the way it is, and some more variation in the drum parts and some additional fills to lift things up in later verses would imho take this to the next level. 

But really, it's quite awesome as it is.

Nice work, Kurt!

Thanks Kevin! The bass is pretty simple, cheap fretless jazz into free Amplitube SVX 500 basic plugin. I'm not a bass player but I must say I have enjoyed playing the fretless, it's my favorite. It does have fret markers otherwise it would really confuse me.  I agree it is a fairly basic arrangement, it turned out that the chord changes in the song where really difficult for me to play to (love jazz but don't really understand it), I almost trashed the whole thing out of frustration. So that's the reason it's pretty brief. Thanks for commenting.

 

Edited by KurtS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2022 at 1:26 AM, Wookiee said:

Another pleasant start to the day too.

Thanks Wookie!

 

On 2/21/2022 at 4:20 AM, Afrodrum said:

That sounds very cool, reminds me early Steely Dan. The guitar would benefit imo if less amp gain is used

Thanks for listening, I think I needed the extra distortion to fill in the gaps since I'm a slow hand.

 

On 2/21/2022 at 9:49 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

I can hear the fingers attacking the bass strings. The bass is so very well articulated and recorded. Well done there.  Timing seems impeccable throughout the piece, great chops. Perhaps the drums could be a bit more present in the mix? That's about the only maybe crit I could offer. This is pretty stellar.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for commenting Tom! 

 

3 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Nice laid back vibe.  Cool.

Appreciate it man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...