John Vere

Updated Jan 28 - It's OK

UPDATED Mix # 5  January 28 2022 

Thought I'd post this here and I'll add the mixes as I progress. This is where this song is at as I follow through in my Tutorial on " How to record an Original Song" 

https://youtu.be/KNqxWGE2ZJw

Updated Jan 25, This is at the point where I have added harmonies and a little more filler. Still no effects. 

Updated Jan 26 2022. I am close to finishing.  Added a supprise part to the Hook. 

Edited by John Vere
Update links
  • Like 3

I think it's pretty good as it is actually.

Only things I might change, is that at times the two guitars seem like they're competing against each other and I would do something to bring the kick out more. I think in this mix there's probably room for it on the bottom end.

• Like 1

put some delay on voice and check some of it's notes.jack c.on the correct path

Haven't had a chance to watch the series yet John, solid bones to work with here.
It will be interesting (and old dogs can always learn new tricks!) how it evolves.

t

dropped a like, even knowing this is a ways from finished; a fan!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack c. said:

put some delay on voice and check some of it's notes.jack c.on the correct path

As I said this is at the tracking stage still so no effects. And normally I use a very tiny bit of delay set with tempo. Did some background vocals today and Melodyne the krat out of them b

The tone on the guitars is great, I think you are all set there! I look forward to hearing your country polish on the vocals/effects. I agree, the drums need some punch added, kick particularly. I liked the lyrics a lot! I'll keep my ears open for future remixes, good one!

• Like 1

I would echo (sorry) jack's idea of a little ambience on the lead vox.  Have you studied the etymology of the phrase *o.k.?*  It's interesting.  Nice song you have here

At first thought it was going to be a rendition of "Auld Lang Syne"  🙂
As stated some punch to the drums..

You have a good one coming here.

Thanks for the comments, much appriciated.  I repete, this is a  work in progress as part of a tutorial series. and at this point there are no effects. This is on purpose. 

Well, I did add a touch of EQ to the bass and the drums to queit you all down about that.  This is a rough mix. My faders are all at unity other than I did lower this latest track where I've added Harmony for video # 7. I've also added a mystery instrument which will be part of video 8. It's mixed in lower. But all the rest is flat. 

Here is the latest MIX with these very small changes made. 

Here is Video 207- https://youtu.be/vOq_dDnnGZg

Hi John . . . some great live sounding guitar and vocal work here, really likeable song idea . . . brought to mind Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, or The Band . . . just excellent stuff !

• Like 1

Hi John, real nice song there, imho: shorten one or more of the verses, bring up/add some jangly piano, add a fiddle, try adding a tambourine, your voice has a nice Levon Helm feel and the harmonies rock 👍🎵🎸🔊

• Like 1

Deleted post old version _ Note deleted all previous versions so now see top post for latest version 

Edited by John Vere

It’s OK  3

Nice original song with good playing and vocals. Well done record and mix work.

So this is latest mix now with the effects and a few minor ajustments. 

See OP top post for version. 

Here's the latest tutorial on the project. 

Edited by John Vere