14 TB External Hard drive $35.99

jesse g

Check out this deal from Walmart.  This is the Enlightened External HD   which comes in various sizes ~~~>  14 TB HD

Specification:
Type:Solid State Drive
Material:aluminum alloy
Color: red,blue,black,sliver
Capacity:500GB/1TB/2TB/4TB/4TB/6TB/8TB/10TB/12TB/14TB/16TB
Interface:USB 2.0/3.0
System:for Windows XP/7/8/10/Mac
Size:7.5*5.5*1cm/2.95*2.16*0.39inch(L*W*H)
Weight:105 g/3.7 oz

Features:
1. Ultra thin and solid metal design: only 0.43 inch thick. The small, light weight enclosure features massive capacity and high quality and reliability.
2.Aluminum shell:The all aluminum shell was scratch resistant,provides excellent strength and durability to keep this portable hard drive safe.
3. Reliable game drive: this external hard disk has fast and stable performance. It is suitable for PS4/PS4 pro/Xbox one. Games will not be rejected or deleted. Compatible with for Windows/Mac OS (10.6.5 and above).
4. Improve PC performance: using USB 3.1 technology, this USB hard drive is much faster than USB 2.0 backup drive, but it is still compatible with USB 2.0 backup drive, which can achieve ultra fast transmission speed of up to 5G/S.
5. Plug and play: this external drive can be used without external power supply or software installation. Ideal extra storage for your computer and game console.

Package Included:
SSD*1
Transmission cable*1

image.png.04e0b56be7f0ecf275ae515b5a0f0269.png

I use a browser extension called Fakespot, which points out fake reviews and other warnings. This is what popped up when I went to that page:

fakespot.png

By "seller" they are not referring to walmart.com, but to Enlightened, the actual seller. I tried to find information about the brand, but couldn't find anyone selling it other than Walmart. 

I am tempted to buy one just to see what the deal really is. There has been a rash of bogus flash drives lately. What's worse, the device reports a spoofed capacity value to the O/S, resulting in missing or corrupt files if you try to write to it. Not what you want to back up your important files to. Some even come with malware pre-installed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jesse g said:

I am buying it to see how good it is.  I said to myself, what the worse I can do...

Please don't. At least not unless you're testing it in a virtual machine.

USB drives are the perfect attack vector for malware, because they automatically run software as soon as you plug them in. Yes, it's a real thing.

Think about it: what do the sellers expect to get out of this? They have to know they won't make any money on SSD sales, since burned customers will be returning them and Walmart will drop the product after complaints roll in. I predict you'll start seeing warnings pop up about how your system has been compromised, with a helpful 800 number to "Microsoft Support".

• Like 6

huge agreement with bitflipper's earlier warning. Purchasing this is extremely likely to end in sadness.

very likely the drive itself will report a high capacity to the OS but doesn't have the storage to back it up. The first few writes will appear to succeed. Past that it will either write over itself in a loop, or just silently not perform the writes, while telling the OS everything is great. When you go to read the data it won't be there.

There is a similar product on Amazon, where that seller has done the trick of swapping one product out for an entirely different one, but they get to keep the customer ratings (how have they not cracked down on that?) https://slate.com/technology/2021/12/amazon-listings-wrong-reviews-why.html

3 minutes ago, mister_tea said:

huge agreement with bitflipper's earlier warning. Purchasing this is extremely likely to end in sadness.

very likely the drive itself will report a high capacity to the OS but doesn't have the storage to back it up. The first few writes will appear to succeed. Past that it will either write over itself in a loop, or just silently not perform the writes, while telling the OS everything is great. When you go to read the data it won't be there.

And that's the best case scenario.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Hope you didn't butter it then 😆

I think he started nibbling on it with the anticipation of something exciting happening,  like  the loss of all of my files. 

Edited by jesse g
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Nah. I know you would've done an offline backup first.

True Bapu,

If I would have purchased the external drive, I would have connected it to my old laptop sitting in the corner not connected to the Internet and formatted it first.