8dio.com hacked

teclark7

9 minutes ago, teclark7 said:

According to posts at vi-control, 8dio.com website hacked. Site redirecting to dodgy websites.

Best to avoid until fixed.

Yes...Bitdefender blocked it...they were phishing attempts

Edited by cclarry
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

They seem to be targeted quite often....

Everybody gets targeted like mad these days. I have a small dot com that has received some notoriety in the marketing, advertising and PR world and I don't think we've had a month in the last several years where there wasn't at least 1,000 hack attempts. Fortunately, most of them are pretty weak -- and we're pretty hardcore about security measures. But yeah, if you ever want confirmation that the world isn't filled with an overwhelming percentage of kind, well-meaning people, you can look at hack attempts or just look at social media. This is why I've taught my kids to look for, appreciate, give out freely and celebrate kindness. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 7
  • Great Idea 2

According to the VI Control thread they are back up again. But Bitdefender says there's still malicious scripts on their pages. 

Someone posted their support person telling a customer not to worry about his data. Um, a word to the wise. If a hacker can bring down their entire site, you should be concerned about your data. It would be foolish not to be. When they get this worked out, change passwords and NEVER EVER store your credit card info at a small developer's site. At least that's my opinion. When I look at how many small sample and plugin developers have been hacked in the last five years and databases compromised, it's not a small number. It's why I only use PayPal when buying from small devs. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

if you ever want confirmation that the world isn't filled with an overwhelming percentage of kind, well-meaning people, you can look at hack attempts

Here I go again, being one of those annoying "glass half full" people, as someone once called me:

1,000 hack attempts doesn't equal that many individuals trying to hack your site. It's just knob-twister bots making multiple attempts. The poor losers probably paid some other loser for their mostly useless "hacking" software.

How many hits do you get every month from people who legitimately want to see what's on your site or use your services? Even if it's just 100,000, that means a whopping 1% of visits have some malicious intent (that's too weak to even pose a threat).

The thing is, if you go looking for evidence of any human characteristic, you'll find it. If you want to look for evidence that the world is packed with people who love to share what we've learned with others, look at all of the how-to videos on YouTube, or even this very forum. Look in the Tutorials section, the Q&A section, or here in the Deals section, or in the UI Themes section. I've spent countless hours developing my themes, not just for personal use, but so other Cakewalk users can have a better experience using the program. Look at Cakewalk itself, which still exists and flourishes because Meng digs music and wants people to make more of it and decided that supplying the world with a great free DAW would be a good way to build his brand. Sure, his accounting department probably loves the writeoff, but there are plenty of other ways he could have gone. He chose the cool one. Look at all of the people who make our music with no expectation of any financial return whatsoever and put it out there on Soundcloud or Bandcamp or YouTube just for people to enjoy.

Our brains are designed to go on the alert when presented with danger, and calm down when presented with comfort. It's part of how we survive. It's why threats of any kind register so strongly and kindness less so. Honor kindness by acknowledging how much of it we take for granted. Yes, absolutely, there are plenty of people out there who think only of themselves and who perform malicious acts. But there are overwhelmingly more who either just don't or who even go out of our way to be helpful.

• Like 5

@Starship Krupa  I think of myself as a glass half full person too -- although I must also admit that the glass is half empty from the perspective of  someone who wants a full glass. I acknowledge the good and bad that exists and the struggle that some have.  Being the grandson of a Jewish WWII veteran and son of a police officer keeps me from seeing the world through rose-colored glasses. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
A more succinct version of what I originally wrote
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Everybody gets targeted like mad these days. I have a small dot com that has received some notoriety in the marketing, advertising and PR world and I don't think we've had a month in the last several years where there wasn't at least 1,000 hack attempts.

That number totally blew me away!!!!!  I thought a small dot.com might get 100 a year.  It makes me wonder how often the "big boys" get targeted.

6 hours ago, jude77 said:

That number totally blew me away!!!!!  I thought a small dot.com might get 100 a year.  It makes me wonder how often the "big boys" get targeted.

And that's more than 1,000 separate attacks -- from different IPs. Granted, many could be from the same hacker using different VPNs. But I've led major sites that get 10 million plus unique visitors per month and I've advised both major global brands and small devs and everyone gets a ton of hack attempts these days. If I look at Google's reporting, the majority of small developers -- whose sales are posted here -- have been hacked in the last two years and their databases have been compromised. Most people simply aren't aware of the situation and for small developers -- the majority of them don't even send out alerts when they've been hacked. Did 8Dio and will they? Ethically, they should be communicating with all of their customers. Without question. I'm a good 8Dio customer. But I have yet to see any communications from them about their recent hack and they really should be communicating honestly with their customers about that. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

Are you saying that you think I have a moral responsibility to focus on the bad people do instead of the good they do? If so, that is interesting given what you said about how you've "taught my kids to look for, appreciate, give out freely and celebrate kindness." I thought that was what I was doing. 😄 From my point of view I thought that I was agreeing with that. I certainly wasn't trying to dilute the importance of doing those things. We should do them all the time, like crazy, as much as we can stand.

I'm not going to toss out counter-anecdotes about times people were particularly nice and kind to me or people I know because it's pointless. Anecdotes are just descriptions of one event in a world of millions of events occurring every second. Nor am I going to try to list any credentials I have (familial or otherwise) regarding being able to see the world as it "really is." You have no idea about my background or life experiences. If I'm wrong about the world, please tell me exactly which of the statements in my post are false.

I will say that expressing a positive view really seems to trigger some people (hence the "annoying" glass half-full tag). It's as if it's become a heresy to believe nice things about people in general. I've had people become condescending, even downright nasty and hostile because I dared to suggest that the world might not be the terrible place they believe it to be or that there's another way to look at it (mostly condescending, as if I must be coming from a sheltered place). To me, this seems weird. Is it just how people react when someone challenges a cherished belief (even if that belief is a negative one)?

So I believe that there are more helpful, kind people in the world than there are hurtful and mean ones. I don't understand why some people take that as an affront.

Years ago, when BandLab first acquired the Cakewalk IP and came out with Cakewalk-that-was-Sonar, there were many people who insisted that they must be up to some malware plot, that since they weren't making money on licenses that the quality of the software would degrade, and so on. I would counter this by saying that it seemed unlikely that a company would go to such a load of trouble and expense to target malware at such a small and specific market, when malware is so easily detectable and it would lead to their company becoming industry pariahs, and that it was entirely possible that with no need to grub for new licenses, the developers of Cakewalk might exercise their freedom to fix a lot of longstanding bugs and to introduce features that were practical and useful rather than flashy.

The same "rose colored glasses" comment was hurled, among others. That's an insult, implying that since I wasn't coming to the same conclusions they were that I was naive or that my perception was somehow defective. There was one guy whose head I thought was going to explode, he got so het up about my positive speculations. I don't know if he actually even used Cakewalk, he just seemed to want to fight. I just said let's wait and see what happens. 😎

In the end, it's scientifically provable that the world doesn't care whether I think it's a kind place or a scary place, whether I think people are just awful or whether I think people are just great, whether I think "things" are getting better or worse. I've tried thinking each of those at various points of my life and none of it had any effect on anything but my own head. The world just kept on being what it was. It doesn't give a refried dog poop what I think, nor do I expect it to.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jude77 said:

Yeah, it's sometimes called "doorknob twisting," the would-be hackers have bot programs that scan IP address after IP address and check them to see if they have open ports and/or services exposed that can be exploited. A firewall will log each of these attempts.

The would-be attackers have computers that just sit there all day long doing this. They'll go through blocks of IP addresses sequentially, but there's probably some "shortlist" of the external IP addresses of financial institutions, etc.

Presumably they're waiting for an inexperienced IT person to put an improperly configured server out live on the net, or fail to update their existing servers fast enough to close known exploitable holes. I used to administer the firewall for a security company. It's been a while now, we used to get multiple doorknob twists daily over 20 years ago.

If all this interests you, go to Shields UP. You can actually have their site do a port scan of the system you're using right now to see if there are any vulnerabilities.

(it tells me that my router has port XX open, so I should close that)

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I created and maintained a WordPress website for my kids' school organization a few years back. One of the security plugins I used was called WordFence IIRC, and it would report the number of login attempts by unknown IP addresses among other things.   I spent many weekend mornings blocking specific IP's and chunks of IP addresses that were trying to access the site by logging in as an "admin" user. It was alarming.

I suspect plugin devs are juicy targets since they are setup to deliver and download executable files.

• Like 1