THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS (WITH FIXES)

freddy j

Here is a kind of rockin', pop-ish song.  The subject in this song is absolutely thrilled with his lover.  It has undergone a number of iterations since I wrote it (a long while ago) for my wife.  This is the latest version.

I have applied some techniques that are new and/or different for me (e.g., Q values for EQ, panning, high pass) and hopefully this will address some of the issues that I have had previously.

As always comments, suggestions, crit's, etc. will be much appreciated.  I hope you enjoy.

THE  ANSWER  TO  MY  QUESTIONS

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

Edited by freddy j
ADDITION
  • Like 2

Thank you Douglas.  You are most kind and I appreciate the encouragement!!!

Hi Allan and Jack.  You may have read some of my whining, in previous posts, about my relationship with MIDI, synths, etc.  I knew something was a wee bit off in this song but I could not exactly place it.  Being a suspicious sort of person, I immediately suspected the MIDI piano.  I was struggling with its latency.  I figured that if I put this song on the forum  surely some one would catch it and help.  I was right and  took your advice and re-recorded the guitars panned left and right.  I think that might have addressed most of the suggestions that you made.  At least to these tired old ears it does sound a bit better.  The bass and drums were brought up a bit and sounded OK on my system but after loading it up on SoundClick they still sound as if they could come up just a bit more.  Thanks very much for listening and offering the suggestions!!

Hi tom.  Thank you very much my friend!  I have only one good thing that I can say about the  CoVid pandemic --- it has given me much more spare time to play with my guitars and Cakewalk by BandLab  (hmmm, I have never been that much of an optimist before ☺️).  Thanks again!

• Like 1

Hi David.  Thank you very much for the kind comments - very much appreciated!!  I am guilty of trying to play all the instruments.  The exception is the drums.  I used some WAV clips from Beta Monkey for this song! 

BTW, I really enjoyed your recent post!! Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Bjorn.  I tend to reach back to that era for inspiration (perhaps too often).  I find the simplicity refreshing!  I often wonder how studio gurus like Tom Dowd produced the work that he did without the sophistication of today's studios.  Many thanks again my friend!

Fred, first, this is an awesome song!  Second, the detail in the mix is terrific, and the separation of all elements is very good.  I wouldn't mind hearing a little more bass and drums, but just a db or two, and that might superglue this mix into something spectacular.  Right now, this is ready for a radio as is.  Super Duper!

Hi Steve.  I am very glad that you liked it.  Thanks very much for listening and commenting!!

Hi Lynn.  Thanks very much for the good words and encouragement.  I got the message about the bass and drums and will give it a look-over once I make corrections to the "Stop The World" song.  So much to do and so little time 😉.  Thanks again pal!!

Hey Nigel.  You are too kind my friend.  I am glad that you liked it and thank you for the good words!!