It's Always Worse at Night

Jerry Gerber

It's been a beautiful, miraculous, mysterious and very bummer year for me.  Two surgeries, weary of the pandemic, the world is as unstable and teetering on disaster as ever.  Yet life is precious, deeply meaningful, with joys and pleasures.  But sometimes late at night a restlessness and anxiety comes over me.   One of the works on my upcoming CD release is entitled Nine Hymns on Spiritual Life.  Here's an excerpt from that group of hymns:

It's Always Worse At Night

Happy holidays to everyone.  May 2022 not be a disaster for the planet...

Jerry

Edited by jsg
  • Like 4

Well done Jerry....choirs/chamber choirs aren't used much but when done right they sound great, i used them in my last song Eternity....you probably have already heard of North Sea Radio Orchestra but if not here is a link to one of their chamber choir pieces "Move Eastward, Happy Earth" an adaptation of a Tennyson poem....

2 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Well done Jerry....choirs/chamber choirs aren't used much but when done right they sound great, i used them in my last song Eternity....you probably have already heard of North Sea Radio Orchestra but if not here is a link to one of their chamber choir pieces "Move Eastward, Happy Earth" an adaptation of a Tennyson poem....

Thanks Larry.   Lovely piece!  How was this recorded?  Any orchestral samples?   Live choir or from a sample library?  You did a good job with the orchestration, very nice feeling to the instrumentation and good integration with the choir...

You are aware I assume that my choir is virtual, it's the East-West Hollywood choir with word builder..

Best,

Jerry

p.s.  I think you're supposed to create a separate thread for your own work, rather than post it in a thread based on another's composition...

Edited by jsg

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

I know exactly how you feel, Jerry. I wrote a song a few years ago expressing about the same.
In the daylight you think about those things on an intellectual level but at 3am they're gut level terrifying.

All the best to you in the new year.
-Bjorn

Yes, true.  No matter how well life is going--the joys, successes, relationships, happiness, accomplishments--always waiting quietly in the corner is the grief, the knowledge of our mortality and the mortality of everyone we care for.  Our existence in this world is impermanent and in the quiet of night we know we all must face loss and grief. Thank God for humor and thank God for grief. For without these things we'd be unbearable, insufferable little twits, thinking we're Gods when we are probably the lowest form of sentient life in the universe.  

Best to you Bjorn and happy new year...

Nice work Jerry. You seem to have very substantial backdrops for your music so far as direction. Well constructed parts. I could probably sympathize with you in some of those other areas. After a surgery there is the recovery and the realization that some things will never work quite the same again. If they still work at all that's a benny.

The world has always been in turmoil but we are heading into more traumatic events. I rest on the rock. This rock doesn't move. Not that life is ever easy. 

Great music!

3 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Nice work Jerry. You seem to have very substantial backdrops for your music so far as direction. Well constructed parts. I could probably sympathize with you in some of those other areas. After a surgery there is the recovery and the realization that some things will never work quite the same again. If they still work at all that's a benny.

The world has always been in turmoil but we are heading into more traumatic events. I rest on the rock. This rock doesn't move. Not that life is ever easy. 

Great music!

Thanks Tim and thanks for listening..I'm actually very lucky, I had hip replacement surgery last April and I'm walking like a healthy 20 year old now.  The difference is incredible.  Hip replacement surgery has something like a 97% success rate.   I also had mitral valve (heart) repair surgery in October and that too has changed my life incredibly for the better.  No more getting out of breath or feeling light-headed.   The miracles of modern medicine are really amazing.   But you're right, aging is challenging no matter what.  Even with modern surgical interventions we're merely buying time (which I suppose is nothing to scoff at) before the eventual and inevitable end.