Sample rate issue in Archetype: Tim Henson VST3

ChristopherM

When using this plugin in Cakewalk, there appears to be a problem if the sample rate is not set to 44.1 kHz. I normally use 48 kHz, in which case the tuner in the plugin works incorrectly. More importantly, the Multivoicer (a harmoniser, only available in the Tim Henson plugin, AFAIK) does not work properly either. Changing the sample rate to 44.1 kHz in Cakewalk corrects both issues.

This does not happen with other NeuralDSP plugins that I have (Cory Wong, Plini, Gojira); in those, the tuner works correctly whatever sample rate is set in Cakewalk.

In stand-alone Time Henson, the sample rate can be changed in its own settings page, and the tuner continues to work correctly (as does the Multivoicer).

I have contacted NeuralDSP support, but I'm anticipating that, as Cakewalk is not one of their supported DAWs, they will blame Cakewalk. (Hope I'm wrong, but this seems to be the way it goes). The fact that the problem is not present in the other similar plugins strongly implicates this plugin, IMHO.

Anybody else using this plugin in Cakewalk? Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Compliments of the season!

• Like 1

Using MOscillator to get a reliable 440Hz signal and NeuralDSPs plugins side-by-side, I have been able to demonstrate to NeuralDSP  support that the issue is real and is confined to the Time Henson plug. The tuner reports 404.2 Hz. Note that 44.1/48 x 440 = 404.25.

They wanted me to try switching back and forth between 44.1 and 48 sample rates to see how that affected this bad behaviour. There is no documented way to do this in Cakewalk AFAIK, so I switched to Cantabile. Switching from 48 to 44.1 then back to 48 solves the problem. NeuralDSP supports neither Cakewalk nor Cantabile, but they did admit that they have seen this issue in VST3 version only in Cubase, which they do support. So they have informally accepted that this is a bug.

Just for kicks, I tried altering Cakewalk's Default [sampling rate] for New Projects setting to 44.1 and back to 48. To my surprise this immediately fixed the issue in the running project. I say surprise, because I had always understood that the sample rate is fixed in Cakewalk at the instant the new project is created, but apparently not. Funny how you find things out!

Let me know what Nueral DSP says. I am in touch with them and can follow up if necessary. It would seem that they are caching the sample rate and not responding to a change in sample rates properly.
Cakewalk initially sets the sample rate to the default but the actual project setting will override this later. The plugin needs to respond to this change or it will be out of sync.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1