Jump to content
cclarry

Synthmaster Black Friday Sale

Recommended Posts

I own Synthmaster One, Synthmaster Player and a bunch of Synthmaster Player expansions. I play -- mostly -- rock music. Is Synthmaster sufficiently worthwhile when I already one Syntmaster One and a bunch of Synthmaster Player expansions?  Granted, with Larry' s discount code it's less than $17 for the crossgrade, but I'm just wondering if others who own both find a sufficient difference between the two -- especially for those who play rock and not eletronic sytles a lot of the patches are for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are into classic rock & early electronic music, then many of the SM2 expansions are useful.

For example, Historic Synth Giants Volume 1,2, & 4, covers synth sounds of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Vangelis, Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, & Jean Michel Jarre.

And Dawn of Electronic Music Volume 1 covers Kraftwerk, Volume 2 covers Depeche Mode, and Volume 3 covers Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream.

 

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abacab said:

For example, Historic Synth Giants Volume 1,2, & 4, covers synth sounds of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Vangelis, Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, & Jean Michel Jarre.

 

Who is Genesis? Never heard if them 😉😉😉

 

 

Just so you know...this was supposed to be a joke. With a username like abacab, I assumed you would find it funny. BTW I love Genesis and I love Abacab (the album)...

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abacab said:

If you are into classic rock & early electronic music, then many of the SM2 expansions are useful.

For example, Historic Synth Giants Volume 1,2, & 4, covers synth sounds of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Vangelis, Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, & Jean Michel Jarre.

And Dawn of Electronic Music Volume 1 covers Kraftwerk, Volume 2 covers Depeche Mode, and Volume 3 covers Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream.

 

Thanks, as I mentioned I own Synthmaster Player and a bunch of expansions for it plus I own Synthmaster One, so I'm just wondering if Synthmaster (the full synth) is worthwhile enough beyond the electronic genres as almost all of the demos are electronic genres. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Who is Genesis? Never heard if them 😉😉😉

 

Just so you know...this was supposed to be a joke. With a username like abacab, I assumed you would find it funny. BTW I love Genesis and I love Abacab (the album)...

I upgraded my response to a laugh!

Here's my favorite Genesis concert, btw. Enjoy!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Thanks, as I mentioned I own Synthmaster Player and a bunch of expansions for it plus I own Synthmaster One, so I'm just wondering if Synthmaster (the full synth) is worthwhile enough beyond the electronic genres as almost all of the demos are electronic genres. 

You might be interested in Kevin Schroeder's factory presets for SM2 (not a separate expansion). It's not rock & roll, but it's not EDM either. A bit more atmospheric.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Selling England by the Pound is the one true Genesis album (and by that I mean it's the only one I've actually properly listened to, countless times). It is pure life-sparkling, exquisite aural & lyrical poetry. I didn't really like any of the Phil Collins era stuff. Except that one hit song. Yes, the one. Besides being such a high-brow music afficionado, I also like cheesy stuff. So my power level is basically unlimited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@abacabYeah, I'll just buy it. As a marketing / branding pro, I find it beyond ridiculous that the developer has one product called Synthmaster and another called Synthmaster One. What an needlessly confusing naming convention. Even discussing them I anticipate people being confused over which one we're discussing. All of that said, the Player and Synthmaster One are both really nice synths, IMO and bargains. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the early Genesis was the incomparable original. I got turned on to them in the mid 70's, and used to listen to Selling England, as well as Nursery Crime, Foxtrot, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. The breakup really shook things up.

But I'm as equally impressed with the turn the band took afterwards. They took that opportunity and ran with it, to a surprising commercial success. Phil was a master front man, although no Peter Gabriel. And a hell of a drummer!

 

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, abacab said:

But I'm as equally impressed with the turn the band took afterwards. They took that opportunity and ran with it, to a surprising commercial success.

Granted, it's a quality I have to respect when a band is able to change and adapt along the way. Metallica has made many fans angry too, occasionally making me happy. Same with Infected Mushroom whose later albums the purists loathed, while I found their absolute most brilliant music came very late into their career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some folks find change unsettling. But to me it's a bit of creative destruction, moving forward! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

@abacabYeah, I'll just buy it. As a marketing / branding pro, I find it beyond ridiculous that the developer has one product called Synthmaster and another called Synthmaster One. What an needlessly confusing naming convention. Even discussing them I anticipate people being confused over which one we're discussing. All of that said, the Player and Synthmaster One are both really nice synths, IMO and bargains. 

You will be eligible for a cheap upgrade to SM v3 whenever it is released. SM One was actually a proof of concept for the developer to try new technologies, as he tried a few new things, and eventually spun that off to the iOS platform.

Lately he has been merging the tech from SM One back into SM 2 into a common architecture, so he can eventually roll out SM3 as a unified concept. SM3  will be able to load SM One presets into layers, along with all the other new goodies in the new version.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sarine said:

Granted, it's a quality I have to respect when a band is able to change and adapt along the way. Metallica has made many fans angry too, occasionally making me happy. Same with Infected Mushroom whose later albums the purists loathed, while I found their absolute most brilliant music came very late into their career.

Love Infected Muchroom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abacab said:

I upgraded my response to a laugh!

Here's my favorite Genesis concert, btw. Enjoy!

 

Oh great, now I have to watch the whole thing...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Genesis tangent, I'm a big fan of their music from the Gabriel days up to and including Abacab. They were brilliant and Collins' drumming was killer in that era and Banks was amazing. I'm also a big fan of Gabriel's solo music. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here's my game plan. I'm going to get the Synthmaster crossgrade from Synthmaster One for $19  USD from Plugin Boutique and get Audio Thing's The Orb free. That's a pretty great deal for less than $20.  

  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, locrian said:

Oh great, now I have to watch the whole thing...

Don't miss the Phil & Chester drum duet at 1h:26m. 😎

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...