"Not Enough Memory " Message When Connect Graphite M25

Hi,

I am using Samson Graphite M25 MIDI keyboard. Recently downloaded Graphite software in order to control the DAW with M25. But "Memory Is Not Enough" message appears when I connect it. I am using Windows 11. Please would you help me? Thanks! Kishan

Screenshot 2021-11-01 090517.png

Screenshot 2021-11-01 090614.png

Edited by Kishan Nadarajah

It's unlikely that a MIDI device would gobble up much RAM. More likely, the message is misleading and the real issue is contention between two programs for the MIDI ports. Could be that the software you're using is trying to get exclusive access to ports already claimed by another process. Maybe it's got a a setting for that, similar to Cakewalk's option to allow applications to share audio devices.

I know this has come up before but can't recall the solution, but do check you're using the right "driver mode" for MIDI:

image.png.e02ae16765c75cdf0a9b6363a5365cfd.png

MME will work with pretty much everything (apart from Bluetooth MIDI?) so should be the default to use (UWP is the alternative).

6 hours ago, bitflipper said:

More likely, the message is misleading and the real issue is contention between two programs for the MIDI ports. Could be that the software you're using is trying to get exclusive access to ports already claimed by another process. 

This ^^^^.  As a long-time MIDI user in every instance that I ever got this message ("not enough memory available'), the cause was one piece of software trying to use a midi port that was in use by another piece of software.  I seem to recall someone in the forum saying that Cakewalk is passing on a message that was reported by Windows. 

The "not enough memory" message has been discussed in a number of threads that I have seen.

I never tried UWP to see if that allowed multiple software use of a single port.  My MIDI gear tends to have problems with UWP, but it should be easy enough to test: (1) boot a utility like midi-ox and while the ports are in use, (2) boot your favorite DAW.  If the DAW can switch between MME and UWP, try both.

UPDATE: Did the basic test. UWP gave a different message in the same dialog as under MME: "The specified device handle is invalid." 

IIRC, Craig Anderton illustrated a work around for using two different midi ports on one synthesizer (possibly 1 control/editor and 1 channelized note data), but using a utility (such as midi-ox) as a midi router so one port connected the hardware and the software/control editor and a different port was used for channel data between the synth and the DAW.  (Not 100% sure, but should be easy enough to find that thread.)

The go-to solution that always met my needs was to just have just one piece of software trying to access a midi port.

Edited by User 905133
to add an update.