How do I "fade out" the last note of a song?

yeto

Question

I have the last clip/measure highlighted which contains the last note. I then went to Process > Apply Effect > Fade/Envelope... but Fade/Envelope is grayed out. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,
yeto

7 answers to this question

Is that track Audio track? The Process menu is for Audio tracks.
If "last note" which you are saying is MIDI note, add Volume Envelope on that synth output track or Master Bus. (or Sub-mix Bus)

Edited by HIBI

12 hours ago, HIBI said:

Is that track Audio track? The Process menu is for Audio tracks.
If "last note" which you are saying is MIDI note, add Volume Envelope on that synth output track or Master Bus. (or Sub-mix Bus)

It is an instrument track. I created the note using piano roll.

12 hours ago, yeto said:

It is an instrument track. I created the note using piano roll.

Ok... that note in the piano roll is MIDI note. So you are talking about MIDI clips, right? The Process menu is not for MIDI tracks (Clips). So you should add Automation lane for Volume Envelope on that instrument's output track (not MIDI track) or Master Bus (or Sub-mix Bus) to realize "fade out".

You can expand and collapse Automation lanes for each track and bus with clicking the button "A" in below pic. If you expand Automation lane for the first time, there should be Volume Envelope in default.
Automation.08.3.png
Anyway I think using Volume automation on Master Bus is easiest way to realize fade out at the end of song.

Edited by HIBI

Instrument track clips behave like MIDI clips until frozen, then they behave like audio clips. So you have 3 choices.

1. Add volume cc's in PRV (MIDI clip) (works only if softsynth responds to cc data)

2. Add a volume envelope (MIDI & Audio clips)

3. Real time fade (Audio/Frozen clips) (link above) - This one can be permanently applied to the clip by bouncing it.

8 hours ago, HIBI said:

Ok... that note in the piano roll is MIDI note. So you are talking about MIDI clips, right? The Process menu is not for MIDI tracks (Clips). So you should add Automation lane for Volume Envelope on that instrument's output track (not MIDI track) or Master Bus (or Sub-mix Bus) to realize "fade out".

You can expand and collapse Automation lanes for each track and bus with clicking the button "A" in below pic. If you expand Automation lane for the first time, there should be Volume Envelope in default.
Automation.08.3.png
Anyway I think using Volume automation on Master Bus is easiest way to realize fade out at the end of song.

Thank you. That worked.

8 hours ago, sjoens said:

Instrument track clips behave like MIDI clips until frozen, then they behave like audio clips. So you have 3 choices.

1. Add volume cc's in PRV (MIDI clip) (works only if softsynth responds to cc data)

2. Add a volume envelope (MIDI & Audio clips)

3. Real time fade (Audio/Frozen clips) (link above) - This one can be permanently applied to the clip by bouncing it.

Thank you. You have given me a lot of great information. Looks like I have some more studying to do. Thank you for taking time to reply.