Jump to content
marlowg01

IK 25th Anniversary Group Buy (Continued)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, chris.r said:

I'm considering ordering this just for that sweet box the mic comes with! :D Not suggesting that the mic is unusable.

I'm going to load up the ARC software and play around with it and the mike for a few hours this weekend. I think it will work fine based on reviews and Sweetwater's return policy and the 2-year warranty pretty much takes the risk out of this purchase!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I been reading all this about AT5 taking up CPU on machines. I thought it was only certain machines. But it was pointed out to me that no, it was all machines. IOW, not system specific.

Well I did my little test with CW. No other program was running on my machine.

The first instance of AT5 took 15 seconds to load. Every instance after that loaded in around 4 seconds.

At idle CW was at 2-3%

I had 6 instances of AT5 with the Default preset it installs with CPU at 18%

Even when I started playback it stayed at 16-18%

Then I loaded one of my presets with a rack delay and rack reverb, and the SilverPlate 50 (I like that amp!) on all 6 instances of AT5

AT5 got up to 23% cpu.

I will do a test of TH3 to see what that does. Might try GR.

At this moment, I am of the belief that 23% CPU for 6 instances of AT5 is not really all that high.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grem said:

At this moment, I am of the belief that 23% CPU for 6 instances of AT5 is not really all that high.

Says he with an i9-9900k... 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NOLAGuy said:

I decided to buy the Behringer MEMS mike, which has a $100 MSRP, but Sweetwater offering on a special sale for $29 and free shipping plus their 2-yr warranty. It was out-of-stock and backordered when I purchased it earlier this week, but got an email that it's shipped and will arrive at my door on Monday.

Nice find! I put my order in with Sweetwater today! And ordered a 6' XLR cable from Amazon for $7.99. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, abacab said:

Says he with an i9-9900k... 🤣

Yes I forgot to state that my specs were in my sig. But I also wanted to post them in the thread because sigs don't show in the mobile browsers.

So here are my specs:

i9 9900K; 32gb Ram; 500gb M.2 SSD System, 1tb M.2 storage, 1tb SSD Samples, 500gb SSD Audio; 3TB & 2TB Project/Programs Storage; BkUp; UA Apollo Twin X Quad TB3, UAD Satellite Octo USB; UAD Octo PCIe, Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 

 

Now I just did a test with THU and GR6.

Same as the AT5 test except for the different amp sims.

THU 5% CPU

Guitar Rig (Native Instruments) 7%

Yes that was also 6 instances of each amp sim with all 6 trks playing.

THU had my preset with Metro (love that amp too!!) and rack reverb, tube screamer up front, another amp and so on. Almost anything I loaded in it didn't faz the CPU hit. Stayed almost constant @7%

AT5 did stay the same no matter what I loaded into it also. 21 - 23% CPU

 

So although I don't think 23% CPU is high for six instances of AT5, compared to other amp sims, it is a little high. AND if earlier versions are more on par with AT4, then the sudden CPU spike/hit is a concern.

BTW, AT4 with my preset and all four rack fx's going (comp, chorus, reveb, delay) with the same 6trk test was 11 - 13% cpu hit.

Take all this with a grain of salt. My methods (if you want to call them that!!) may differ from yours also!!

I by no means did this show anybody anything other than myself. But I did want to report what I found.

 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did one more test, with Kuassa Amplification 360.

6 instances my own preset of Vermillion Amp (love that amp too!!) with a chorus ensemble, and jet flange plus plate reverb:

4% CPU!!

If you haven't tried that Vermillion amp and like clean sounds, give it a shot.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grem said:

Yes I forgot to state that my specs were in my sig. But I also wanted to post them in the thread because sigs don't show in the mobile browsers.

So here are my specs:

i9 9900K; 32gb Ram; 500gb M.2 SSD System, 1tb M.2 storage, 1tb SSD Samples, 500gb SSD Audio; 3TB & 2TB Project/Programs Storage; BkUp; UA Apollo Twin X Quad TB3, UAD Satellite Octo USB; UAD Octo PCIe, Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 

 

Now I just did a test with THU and GR6.

Same as the AT5 test except for the different amp sims.

THU 5% CPU

Guitar Rig (Native Instruments) 7%

Yes that was also 6 instances of each amp sim with all 6 trks playing.

THU had my preset with Metro (love that amp too!!) and rack reverb, tube screamer up front, another amp and so on. Almost anything I loaded in it didn't faz the CPU hit. Stayed almost constant @7%

AT5 did stay the same no matter what I loaded into it also. 21 - 23% CPU

 

So although I don't think 23% CPU is high for six instances of AT%, compared to other amp sims, it is a little high. AND if earlier versions are more on par with AT4, then the sudden CPU spike/hit is a concern.

BTW, AT4 with my preset and all four rack fx's going (comp, chorus, reveb, delay) with the same 6trk test was 11 - 13% cpu hit.

Take all this with a grain of salt. My methods 9if you want to call them that!!) may differ from yours also!!

I by no means did this show anybody anything other than myself. But I did want to report what I found.

 

Thanks for doing these tests. It is very interesting to see how it behaves on a top notch machine. BTW, congrats for a very capable machine for your DAW. It must be fun to work with. 

If you have a few minutes, I would really be interested to see how AT5 5.0.3 fares on such a beast. If you install AT5 5.0.3 on your machine and take the same readings, I would be very curious to see if the CPU usage drops in half on your beast. You simply run the 5.0.3 installer over your current installation. You can get it from your download area on IK's site, not the Product Manager, and under AT5 click 'Past Releases'. After you are done simply go in Product Manager and update AT5. You will be back to the latest without loosing anything. I have done it a dozen time and it worked fine.

On my PC, 5.0.3 uses half the CPU than the latest.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Grem said:

So although I don't think 23% CPU is high for six instances of AT5, compared to other amp sims, it is a little high. AND if earlier versions are more on par with AT4, then the sudden CPU spike/hit is a concern.

BTW, AT4 with my preset and all four rack fx's going (comp, chorus, reveb, delay) with the same 6trk test was 11 - 13% cpu hit.

So it would seem that you are seeing the same doubling of CPU usage with AT 5. Obviously not as big a concern for those with higher spec machines (including myself), but could be a showstopper for those with older gen PC equipment.

Thanks! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Grem said:

I did one more test, with Kuassa Amplification 360.

6 instances my own preset of Vermillion Amp (love that amp too!!) with a chorus ensemble, and jet flange plus plate reverb:

4% CPU!!

If you haven't tried that Vermillion amp and like clean sounds, give it a shot.

That looks like a newer, and better I am sure, version of a past Computer Music freebie!

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/computer-music/20190612/281595242029640

When I took a look at Vermillion, I knew I had seen something that looked like it before.

Edited by Jacques Boileau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jesse Screed said:

Tried to choke it

on my measly system

4 instances of AT5

one drag audio to AAS player midi convert

bass, drums

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14332264

I know this doesn't mean squat, but this is that

 

Cool! 👍😊

The difference between your machine and others, is that you are running Windows 7. I believe most are using Windows 10. That might have an effect, but I don't know, but it is info. Also you are running Sonar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

The difference between your machine and others, is that you are running Windows 7. I believe most are using Windows 10. That might have an effect, but I don't know, but it is info. Also you are running Sonar.

Now will the powers that be care to suss it out.  Me thinks it would behoove them too,

unless AT5 is soon to become abandon ware....like Win 7, and Spalt.😀

but on second thought, maybe it's me, probably

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacques Boileau said:

If you have a few minutes, I would really be interested to see how AT5 5.0.3 fares on such a beast.

I will, but it won't be until I get home from work tomorrow. I can do it then. Will let you know.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sharing a cool article on 2 mic guitar technique. AT 5 is a great tool to tinker around with experimenting with mics and placement in a cab. I started using more ribbon mics with sm57 and tweaking placement to get the sound i want and not use as much eq for guitar.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/two-mic-guitar-tracking

re: AT 5.. I just did a cool new track with it today. it sounded pretty good to me using AT 5. yeah, it does use more CPU than my other sims.. like Guitar Rig..e.tc..  but it also does sound very good.  FWIW.. I use a bunch of other sims and will switch back and forth. if its a project that uses lots of tracks and stuff.. i will just use a different sim or convert the AT 5 track to wave and be done with it. nothing to dwell on. its a great product.

 

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NOLAGuy said:

I decided to buy the Behringer MEMS mike, which has a $100 MSRP, but Sweetwater offering on a special sale for $29 and free shipping plus their 2-yr warranty. It was out-of-stock and backordered when I purchased it earlier this week, but got an email that it's shipped and will arrive at my door on Monday.

I have the Behringer EMC 8000 and have used it for years with great results. But I didn’t get that kind of price! That is a killer deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Max Arwood said:
12 hours ago, NOLAGuy said:

I decided to buy the Behringer MEMS mike, which has a $100 MSRP, but Sweetwater offering on a special sale for $29 and free shipping plus their 2-yr warranty. It was out-of-stock and backordered when I purchased it earlier this week, but got an email that it's shipped and will arrive at my door on Monday.

I have the Behringer EMC 8000 and have used it for years with great results. But I didn’t get that kind of price! That is a killer deal

I looked at this mic but it does not seem to come a calibration file. How would you use it with ARC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

started using more ribbon mics with sm57

I have the Royer mic clip that holds the 121 and the 57, makes it so easy. If I have to have a real amp on a track that’s my go to. 
Blend to taste...

t

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I looked at this mic but it does not seem to come a calibration file. How would you use it with ARC?

The ECM8000 does not come with a calibration file. Behringer does not produce individual calibration file for these. I don't know if you can skip the calibration file step in ARC. There are some generic cal file for it that people made. A quick search in Google returns a few examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...