Mark MoreThan-Shaw

Beatles Cover - Trailer Style

We pitched this cover song  for a trailer trailer opportunity and although it made the short list, we didn't get gig so I'm able to share.    

CBB used for the whole thing with various Kontakt Libraries etc.

image.thumb.png.a00db080d4ad2352c624a1e1a0b38f32.png

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw
  • Like 6

Been a Beatles fan since 1967....the music is excellent in creating the mood you wanted as are the vocals, really like the singer....the playing, percussion, riffs and production are all great....it's just, imho, the music is not in agreement with the lyrics...which is, i assume, exactly what you wanted. so, as a long time Beatles fan i would pass but this being the 21st century the zeitgeist is not what it was 54 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

That's the best way (IMO) to do a cover - reimagined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't hear songs so radically changed as your cover but it works very well. You could say it's a new song (except for the lyrics) influenced by the Beatles.  Wonder how many listeners are familiar with the original these days.

Reminds me of another cover.  Pink Martini did Que Sera Sera in a minor key which takes a little getting used to.

-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Larry T. said:

....it's just, imho, the music is not in agreement with the lyrics...which is, i assume, exactly what you wanted.

Yes I agree...the intention was to subvert the meaning which is often the case when a song is " Trailerized "

Thanks for listening :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bjornpdx said:

Wonder how many listeners are familiar with the original these days.

I think it's still pretty up there in popularity...It's top of their most popular songs on Spotify 704,290,575 streams !

Wonderful! I could listen to - even pay for - a whole album of that kind of stuff.

Reminds me of the impact that the cover of the Beatles' "Because" had in the trailer for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Too bad the movie wasn't as good as the trailer.

• Like 1

Quite a re-work and clever interpretation of the original.  Very impressive and imaginative cover, indeed!

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Reminds me of the impact that the cover of the Beatles' "Because" had in the trailer for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Too bad the movie wasn't as good as the trailer.

Cool, I just listened to it - I must have missed it first time around.  That doesn't sound like a cover, it sounds too much like the original vocal stem to me. 

Sometimes it happens that a trailer composer has access to multi-track stems of original artists songs although I've not heard it done with a Beatles song before. 

Also you sometimes get what's called a ' custom overlay' where they take the original mix and layer new parts around it to give it a different feel for the trailer. But this doesn't sound like that as there's no guitar etc.    

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

You're right. I looked it up, and indeed the original was licensed by Sir Paul himself, who was a fan of Luc Besson. It's just been sliced and diced, looped and sweetened. It was the first time a Beatles song was ever licensed for an ad.

• Like 1