Sign in to follow this  
David Sprouse

Singing Bowl

nice chords changes!!!!!!!!!!!!and strange rhythm feel.it might need a touch of quantize.jack c.

Hey David . . . liking this one, interesting listen . . . at first I thought this was going to be a smoky late night jazz club thing, but you created some interesting harmonics and chords along the way. The title "Singing Bowl" . . . is that an instrument from your cupboard you recorded, or a sample you used here  ? At times the kit sounded to me like a rock drummer trying to keep up with a jazz combo, more ride cymbal ?  . . . but somehow it all works timing wise for my ears, definitely laid back and experimental . . . you mention Sonar 7, oh yeah, old school with a modern music touch.

Interesting chord weaving.  Lovely.  The timing sounds a bit loose, but I think you're doing that intentionally.  It works.

🙂 John B

• Like 1

Experimental indeed, like @noynekker I have to confess I was waiting for a singing bowl, of which I do have one, to appear.

Interesting piece.

David,

Very interesting, tight, and compact composition you have here. I love the contrast between the alternating legato and syncopated sections. It reminds me of some of the stuff Paul Motian and Bill Frisell used to do when Paul was still around, And then the gliding flutes lead into a satisfying. culminating conversation between bass. GTR, and flute.

Meditatively cool,

Bert

On 9/9/2021 at 8:26 AM, jack c. said:

nice chords changes!!!!!!!!!!!!and strange rhythm feel.it might need a touch of quantize.jack c.

Quantization indeed, Jack. It's a Lil sloppy haha.. thanks for your ears.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, noynekker said:

Hey David . . . liking this one, interesting listen . . . at first I thought this was going to be a smoky late night jazz club thing, but you created some interesting harmonics and chords along the way. The title "Singing Bowl" . . . is that an instrument from your cupboard you recorded, or a sample you used here  ? At times the kit sounded to me like a rock drummer trying to keep up with a jazz combo, more ride cymbal ?  . . . but somehow it all works timing wise for my ears, definitely laid back and experimental . . . you mention Sonar 7, oh yeah, old school with a modern music touch.

Noynekker  what's your name, anyways? Thanks for listening 🎶and for the observations. Sonar 7 was a long time ago, no? Singing bowl would be the the bowl of pot my bff used to smoke every morning before work. That'd be my cue to wake  up.... no actually  singing bowls are something Buddhists use to meditate with they make a mesmerizing sound like throat singing does.

On 9/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, Johnbee58 said:

Interesting chord weaving.  Lovely.  The timing sounds a bit loose, but I think you're doing that intentionally.  It works.

🙂 John B

Good observations and thank you for your ears

1 hour ago, David Sprouse said:

Noynekker  what's your name, anyways? Thanks for listening 🎶and for the observations. Sonar 7 was a long time ago, no? Singing bowl would be the the bowl of pot my bff used to smoke every morning before work. That'd be my cue to wake  up.... no actually  singing bowls are something Buddhists use to meditate with they make a mesmerizing sound like throat singing does.

David . . . since you asked, I'm a long time Cakewalking forum member (from way before Sonar 7) known as Noynekker . . . but, in real life it's just Bruce.

PS . . . Shaun Cassidy's younger brother

Edited by noynekker
a bit of fun

Cool! Song name fit well to ambiance and soundscape. I felt like I was at the bottom of a big bowl.  Nice job!

On 9/11/2021 at 5:32 AM, Wookiee said:

Experimental indeed, like @noynekker I have to confess I was waiting for a singing bowl, of which I do have one, to appear.

Interesting piece.

Thanks again for your kind words and terrific ears....:D

On 9/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, Bert Guy said:

David,

Very interesting, tight, and compact composition you have here. I love the contrast between the alternating legato and syncopated sections. It reminds me of some of the stuff Paul Motian and Bill Frisell used to do when Paul was still around, And then the gliding flutes lead into a satisfying. culminating conversation between bass. GTR, and flute.

Meditatively cool,

Bert

Bert thank you for your observations and kind words.   Glad it soothes the soul.

I love Sonar 7 and still have a copy of it somewhere.  I love your work because I never know what to expect!  The last thing in the world this song needs is quantization!!  I'm building up my nerve to go out on a limb, too, and you'd be my inspiration.

Sometimes I find a short sequence of notes that conjure up magic somehow and it does the same to other listeners. You did that here in a couple of places in your song. Very nice.
-Bjorn