Jump to content
AngelaBee

Using PC keyboard instead of clicking? /assigning music to keys!

Recommended Posts

So, I'm watching a tutorial on how to get started with Cakewalk but some of it is unrelatable to me since the person is using real instruments (and is super good at it of course). I'm using a keyboard (not the music kind) and my mouse. I have the "drumkit" up right now and I'm thinking I have to be able to like.. Assign some keys to the drumkit? And the same must go for any instrument in the software? I know keys are already assigned when you're playing with the instruments in Bandlabs studio. I loved how that worked and kinda thought it would work the same way here. Or do I HAVE to have instruments to use Cakewalk? If I don't want to use my mouse only, I mean. 

Hit me up if you can explain in a good way, my mind is mush. But I'm happy to learn. Music is fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend you make it easy on yourself and pony up for an actual music keyboard. Such can be had for less than $100.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c513--Keyboard_MIDI_Controllers?sb=low2high

While you can certainly get by with the virtual keyboard, especially at first, if and when you take to this you will quickly run into a wall

Likewise, if you are ever going to record audio, I will recommend getting a dedicated audio interface with a dedicated ASIO driver and NOT ASIO4ALL . Same reason; it is ultimately easier in the long run and you will get better results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AngelaBee said:

...Music is fun.

I like your attitude. Don't lose it by doing things the hard way.

Using the virtual keyboard is very clunky - timing can be tough and it won't register velocity like a proper MIDI controller. Take Byron's advice and get yourself a keyboard controller. A very basic one can be had for 50 bucks. If you're going to be programming drums and you're not a keyboard player, spend a little more for one that has pressure pads, which are more intuitive to most people. You might have fun with something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaunchK3mini--novation-launchkey-mini-mk3-keyboard-controller

LaunchK3mini-large.jpg.auto.webp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In  I first got my Atari computer and wanted to record midi it became very obvious that I needed a midi keyboard. I had never played a piano before. But I could play the drums on it almost right away and soon I was playing bass lines too.  in another short while I taught myself a bunch of piano chords and had totally memorized the note names..  I now enjoy playing my keyboards equally as much as guitar.  Thank goodness for midi editing and quantizing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Red Wax Police said:

Thanks. But I still wish cakewalk improve their built-in computer keyboard. It would be very handy..

it's one of my favorite things in FL  🙂

 

On 8/17/2021 at 3:43 PM, bdickens said:

I recommend you make it easy on yourself and pony up for an actual music keyboard. Such can be had for less than $100.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bdickens said:

 

 

yeah sure, but that's not the point...
you'd be surprised with how much you can do in FL with the computer keyboard when you are on the go.. 

The cakewalk way of doing this is a little limited. They need to expand it to use more keys, and add more features, like the ability to mute tracks etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2021 at 7:58 PM, AngelaBee said:

So, I'm watching a tutorial on how to get started with Cakewalk but some of it is unrelatable to me since the person is using real instruments (and is super good at it of course). I'm using a keyboard (not the music kind) and my mouse. I have the "drumkit" up right now and I'm thinking I have to be able to like.. Assign some keys to the drumkit? And the same must go for any instrument in the software? I know keys are already assigned when you're playing with the instruments in Bandlabs studio. I loved how that worked and kinda thought it would work the same way here. Or do I HAVE to have instruments to use Cakewalk? If I don't want to use my mouse only, I mean. 

Hit me up if you can explain in a good way, my mind is mush. But I'm happy to learn. Music is fun.

Yes. You can use the virtual keyboard within Cakewalk. Nothing wrong with that. Here emmy nominated songs out that was used sith only the keyboard of your computer and mouse using the virtual keyboard the comes with cakewalk. It's also not as limited as some of the comments say and claim it to be. All you need is a little patient and know some chords. 

Dont let people tell that you can't use it or its better to buy a physical keyboard. Use what you have at you disposal right now and make the most of it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Yes. You can use the virtual keyboard within Cakewalk. Nothing wrong with that.

A nice trick to do for a melody line, you hit the same key on the virtual keyboard exactly like you hum, then you adjust notes pitch in accordance to your melody in the piano roll :)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sergedaigno said:

A nice trick to do for a melody line, you hit the same key on the virtual keyboard exactly like you hum, then you adjust notes pitch in accordance to your melody in the piano roll :)  

Yep. Or you can just play it in with the PC keyboard. ☺ Much easier. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for getting a real controller, and learning to enter to record parts in real time with control of velocity and duration as well as pitch. Even if you make a lot of mistakes at first, you will improve quickly with, fixing them will be faster than entering and editing one note at a time using the mouse and/or PC keyboard. Recording drum parts from a controller keyboard keyboard is especially easy (and a good place to start) because you can record just one or two kit pieces at a time, and you don't have to worry about duration or fingering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2021 at 9:23 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

Yep. Or you can just play it in with the PC keyboard. ☺ Much easier. 

You're right, my bad, I meant pc keyboard, not virtual :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sergedaigno said:

You're right, my bad, I meant pc keyboard, not virtual :)

All good. ☺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...