Sonar 8.5.3 Dropout, all operations superslow

rev

I should know this one but I haven't seen it for years. I press the Spacebar and the cursor takes 6 or 7 seconds to respond. It manages to play a few measures before dropout. Opening a project takes a long time, so does Exporting audio, Mixing down audio, pretty much everything. VLC and Audacity both work fine.

I/O Buffers are both at 256 and the ASIO panel is set to 512. No activity on the CPU because there's almost nothing in the project. Latest MOTU Traveler driver, and latest NVIDIA GeForce 710 driver. Drive Indexing is off, the machine never sleeps.

I'm desperate for a solution! Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks  - rev

Asus Z390E Rog Strix mobo, Quad Core 3.33 Intel chip, 32 RAM, Windows 10 1963

>Used it for a decade but seriously just upgrade to CBB

Sacrilege sir! This is 8.5.3, the revered version. It's been working fine on Win 10 until win 10 updates began to mess with my settings. In trying to get back to where I was, I tried a reset on the MOTU Traveler.  Then I got a sample rate mismatch, all the ins and outs don't light up anymore and I have to RTFM!

It drops out but I have enough resources, maybe a timing master mismatch...?

You rebooted the computer yet?

25 minutes ago, rev said:

This is 8.5.3, the revered version

Seriously, it's well past time to update a version that is over 10 years old.

CbB is so vastly improved over SPLAT, let alone 8.5.3 it's unreal. Especially for free there is absolutely no excuse not to.

• Like 2

We all spent quality time with 8.5 and many like me refused to update to the X series at the time.  I waited it out until the dust settled on the forum and people were now reporting a more stable version with X3e.....  And Cakewalk sent me an offer to upgrade from X1 LE  I got for free to X3 Studio for only $99.   only took me a day or 2 with X3 to never want to go back again. I still have 8.5 installed and sometimes I open it and find myself looking at what now appears to be a very basic stripped down DAW. Where did all the features go? 

Bottom line is you can only run old software for so long until OS updates will kill it dead. So the longer you put off the inevitable the longer your stuck using a very downgraded version of one of the best DAW's out there. And did we mention it's free..

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

I'd be very surprised if this was SONAR/Cakewalk version-dependent. This is a system problem and as such likely to affect any DAW.

Something is eating CPU cycles, resulting in buffer starvation. To verify that assumption, raise the buffer size to the maximum supported by the interface (on my old MOTU it was 4096) and see if it gets farther before giving up.

Next, think about any changes you've made to the system since it was last working OK. New software, updated drivers, replaced hardware components. Run LatencyMon to try and pinpoint a driver that's too greedy. Try disabling the network and see if that makes a difference. Try the Why So Slow utility for grins. It's from Resplendence, the same folks that gave us LatencyMon.

And of course one possibility that has to be considered is malware, e.g. something that keeps a network connection open to the mothership, or that scans files in the background. That can even be anti-virus software. A diagnostic tool that lists active network ports can identify spyware, including "friendly" spyware such as tools to continuously monitor for malware. 

BitFlipper @#$% You old dog, many years no chat.

Yours were the first Sonar user's songs I checked out when I was new, maybe 20 years ago? Glad to see you're still kicking.

It just so happens that I tried Why So Slow, it says I have a fast system that's running well so no help really. 

>raise the buffer size to the maximum supported by the interface 

Via the ASIO Panel?

Nothing obvious reported by LatencyMon

>We all spent quality time with 8.5 

John: I tried CW by Bandlab and I couldn't solve the latency issue. I have Studio One v4, which works fine but I have an older rock musical in Sonar and I'd rather not move everything.