Windows 11

cclarry

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

looks like i won't be going to wni11 any time soon 😂

Me neither...  I like my taskbar at the top - and so far in 11, it’s it's stuck to the bottom like a hemeoroid.

Oh and this whole TPM thing.... don’t get me started.....

22 hours ago, abacab said:

The Intel CPU must also be at least 8th gen. The i5-7200U won't pass the test. MS has announced that 6th and 7th gen is not supported for Win 11.

Just used the iso to upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11, by mounting it through the OS, and it worked.
Now I don't necessarily recommend it until the official release, but it seems like the upgrade will work on 7th gen CPUs.
image.thumb.png.8ddae49b881f4a8168de121acf304363.png
Maybe it won't work on a fresh install.
It says "Windows 11 Education" because it's my old college laptop and we got a free Windows Educational license.😅

Edited by Cristian

26 minutes ago, Cristian said:

Just used the iso to upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11, by mounting it through the OS, and it worked.
Now I don't necessarily recommend it until the official release, but it seems like the upgrade will work on 7th gen CPUs.
image.thumb.png.8ddae49b881f4a8168de121acf304363.png
Maybe it won't work on a fresh install.
It says "Windows 11 Education" because it's my old college laptop and we got a free Windows Educational license.😅

Didn't say it won't work. Just that it won't be supported (by MS). Different things... 😉

The Win 11 readyness test shows what is supported or not.

A lot of people fear Microsoft more than God and the devil! 😆

I am sure Windows 11 is even worse than Windows 10, more user enforcement, more slobbery social media integration, more greasy shopping experience, more incompatibility to older hard- and software! 👎 An example for the latter is USB compatibility, in W10 I experienced a constant worsening of compatibility with USB hard- and software (unfortunately you can't revert to an older W10 release). Even USB disk removal got worse in each release, I noticed this comparing my W7 pc, my W10 1909 pc and my up to date W10 laptop!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marled said:

A lot of people fear Microsoft more than God and the devil! 😆

I am sure Windows 11 is even worse than Windows 10, more user enforcement, more slobbery social media integration, more greasy shopping experience, more incompatibility to older hard- and software! 👎 An example for the latter is USB compatibility, in W10 I experienced a constant worsening of compatibility with USB hard- and software (unfortunately you can't revert to an older W10 release). Even USB disk removal got worse in each release, I noticed this comparing my W7 pc, my W10 1909 pc and my up to date W10 laptop!

But this is just your pov. No ?

W10 is fine here. Has been for the last few years. Never had a USB issue. YMMV, but i bet the majority of people have no issues.  Perhaps (dare i say) your system ? Ouch I’ll get my hat .’………

Cheers,

J

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

But this is just your pov. No ?

Not exactly. I upgraded about 2 years ago and been mostly disappointed since. Didn't notice it's more "snappy" most users praised it, I had never problem with keeping my Win7 snappy for about 10 years, and XP for another 10 before, this was surely up to user because I've experienced many of my friends XPs sluggish beyond sense. Yes, when's Win10 working it's fine, but just for another couple months before something breaks with another feature update, I just had it broken and see now there's another big one waiting. Mind you this is on almost fresh install and I'm using it only for music purpose, not fiddling with settings either to keep it default. I could turn off upgrading but I decided to do it solely for compatibility reasons but really starting loosing the point. Pretty sure Win11 won't be any better. YMMV

Edited by chris.r

Hmm... Looks like a cross between XP and Windows 10 to me. At least they finally have a dark mode where the active Explorer window still has the 1px border around it.

One of the things that have slightly annoyed me with UIs is that they've become bigger and bigger. Yes they're friendlier because there's more spacing and so things look less cramped. However, I remember one of the joys of getting a widescreen monitor when they were new was that you could run multiple windowed apps on one screen and use them fairly comfortably. More often now, the UI of one app takes up the entire 1920x1200 screen.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Developers are moving  on my list of No Parachute on a Failing Plane.

That would be misplaced - in larger organisations like Microsoft, the developers are not the people who make decisions like these. They will make decisions on how to code their product (e.g. Windows), but they are not the ones who set minimum requirements/marketing; people in product management and marketing do this.

WHAT IF? What if my computers can't run Windows 11?

I know that Microsoft is going to still support Windows 10 until Oct 2025. Yes yes, yes, I know--I know that I should (and yes I will eventually) buy a new Desktop Computer that runs Windows 11.   BUT, what if? 

WHAT IF? Hypothetically will we be able to run Cakewalk by Bandlab or Cubase 11 or Studio One 5 on Window 10 (OFFLINE) even AFTER October 2025?

I read on these forums that some of you already run your DAWs totally offline.   [FYI--I have never run my DAW desktops offline; I always run the DAW Software's latest and Microsoft updates online.]    But some of you run offline-- So to you guys who already run offline, will this be possible?

If a 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th Gen CPU is stable and fine and runs Cakewalk, Cubase and Studio One 5 solidly right now, can one opt to run those DAW software programs  "perpetually” offline on Windows 10? I know that there would be not upgrades or updates, but will it be possible to run Win10 DAWS offline AFTER October 2025?

If this is too off topic, please pardon the post, or redirect me to where I should look for an answer.