How to copy and paste a Vocal hook 16bars later in Cakewalk without guessing?

kday

How could I copy a Vocal part recorded at a certain part of the song exactly 16 bars later? Every time I try this it's like guess work and never align to the exact location 16 bars later. Unless I just record it live again and again. I often see professionals copy the same vocal hook from the first take and then pasting it until the last. Is there a way to make this easier in Cakewalk ?

Thanks

If you use the snap settings you can do one of two things. Enable snap set to "snap to" set it to bars and then cntrl-click and drag your clip 16 bars down. In this case your clip has to start right on a bar boundary. You can drag the edge of the clip to the start of the bar then after the copy just drag it back out.

Or, Set the snap settings to "snap-by" and then ctrl-drag the clip 16 bars down and it should be exactly 16 bars when you drop it.

Or, set the snap to enable landmarks and set the now time cursor to the edge of the clip to copy and note the time where the now time cursor is.  copy the clip, edit copy, or cntr-c. then set the now time to exactly 16 bars from your noted time and paste the clip

Edited by reginaldStjohn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another issue may be that the timeline is not set properly to the song. If reginaldStjohn's answer isn't the solution (it should be), does the timeline match the project? It is unclear if you imported audio or not from the OP.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bdickens said:

Arithmetic?

I usually right-click>copy (or Ctrl>C) then Ctrl>V and when the dialog box comes up, change the paste point to exactly 16 bars later. It doesn't matter where the Now line is at that time, just change it. 

• Great Idea 1

On 6/18/2021 at 12:40 PM, reginaldStjohn said:

If you use the snap settings you can do one of two things. Enable snap set to "snap to" set it to bars and then cntrl-click and drag your clip 16 bars down. In this case your clip has to start right on a bar boundary. You can drag the edge of the clip to the start of the bar then after the copy just drag it back out.

Or, Set the snap settings to "snap-by" and then ctrl-drag the clip 16 bars down and it should be exactly 16 bars when you drop it.

Or, set the snap to enable landmarks and set the now time cursor to the edge of the clip to copy and note the time where the now time cursor is.  copy the clip, edit copy, or cntr-c. then set the now time to exactly 16 bars from your noted time and paste the clip

Thanks, I couldn't get the part to move, I think I need to see a video demonstration of this process to understand it.  I'll look on the web. But thanks for the explanation appreciate it.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:50 PM, bdickens said:

Arithmetic?

I tried that, but some parts start before basic bar numbers.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:53 PM, John Vere said:

I don’t understand the problem?  You copy and paste to any place in a song anything you want. Exact placement is a matter of learning how to use the tools properly. 
lots of tutorials on the subject of pasting audio or midi. 

The issue I have is trying to copy and paste the exact number of measures from one location to the next, copying and pasting becomes difficult for certain parts that don't start on the exact bar, for certain parts that starts before a chorus part it's a 20 paste guessing game to where it becomes mental fatigue.  But yeah, that's what I'm looking for some tutorials on snapping or pasting in Cakewalk. Thanks for your help appreciate it.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:49 AM, mettelus said:

Another issue may be that the timeline is not set properly to the song. If reginaldStjohn's answer isn't the solution (it should be), does the timeline match the project? It is unclear if you imported audio or not from the OP.

Well it's just a recorded part, that I wish to copy and paste exactly 16 bars later, but the chorus part starts before the chorus 8-bar sequence starts so it's a guessing game trying to doing live by hand. If i doing it long enough it may sound closer to original but I have to keep doing that tedious part four times over. But thanks I may try to look up some tutorials somewhere.  Thanks for the help

On 6/19/2021 at 9:01 AM, 57Gregy said:

I usually right-click>copy (or Ctrl>C) then Ctrl>V and when the dialog box comes up, change the paste point to exactly 16 bars later. It doesn't matter where the Now line is at that time, just change it. 

I never did it that way, is there a tutorial on how this process works? Thanks for the help

On 6/20/2021 at 8:12 AM, lapasoa said:

Ripple edit my friend. Never heard of it?

I never did ripple edit, is there a tutorial on it somewhere? I'll check youtube. Thanks!

All the tutorials are found on the Tutorials sub forum.  https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/35-tutorials/

But Google is the fastest way to get answers. Example " Cakewalk copy and past clips" 

Some results= 

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X3&language=3&help=Arranging.17.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1EKnepfyXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGtfz2YB4sA

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kday said:

On 6/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, bdickens said:

Arithmetic?

I tried that, but some parts start before basic bar numbers.

Uh.... OK ...

I really don't think this is so difficult.

If I have a part that starts, say, on the "and" of beat 3, measure 1, even my dyscalculic self has no problem copying it then counting over to the and of beat 3 measure 17 and pasting it in.

7 hours ago, bdickens said:

Uh.... OK ...

I really don't think this is so difficult.

If I have a part that starts, say, on the "and" of beat 3, measure 1, even my dyscalculic self has no problem copying it then counting over to the and of beat 3 measure 17 and pasting it in.

I use real time linear recording on Cakewalk tracks and it boils down to pasting according to where I think the part is supposed to be, but by pasting takes many takes because I'm not pasting within a sequencer, and the chorus part past has no bars to snap to like a dedicated sequencer, so I would have to figure out the snap feature in Cakewalk. If I was pasting according to a sequencer, I could do it once and copy the whole sequence 16 bars later. But Cakewalk is real time and it's a guessing game.

• Confused 1

Before copying and pasting, I always check the clip's properties to see where it actually starts.
It may appear to start on the measure, but checking the properties may show it starts at (for example) 15:04:889. I write that down. Then when I want to paste it 16 bars later, in the Paste dialog box I change the numbers from whatever it reads to 31:04:889 and everything will be copacetic.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

23 hours ago, John Vere said:

All the tutorials are found on the Tutorials sub forum.  https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/35-tutorials/

But Google is the fastest way to get answers. Example " Cakewalk copy and past clips" 

Some results= 

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X3&language=3&help=Arranging.17.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1EKnepfyXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGtfz2YB4sA

Hey thanks for all these links, I'm gonna go through them to gets some info on the snapping process. Appreciate it!

3 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Before copying and pasting, I always check the clip's properties to see where it actually starts.
It may appear to start on the measure, but checking the properties may show it starts at (for example) 15:04:889. I write that down. Then when I want to paste it 16 bars later, in the Paste dialog box I change the numbers from whatever it reads to 31:04:889 and everything will be copacetic.

I'm gonna try that! I never used to properties option before but if i get the hang of this i'm on to a new future! lol

15 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

yes, this is what I do as well, or copy one measure before and paste one measure before then you don't need to know -it will line up automatically. I am just wondering though, and I could be off here, but is there any chance you didn't record with a metronome?  

17 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Where exactly is the "Paste dialog box" you enter the bar numbers into ?  

Ctrl+Alt+V to bring up the Paste Special dialog. Start time is part of the default dialog; click the Advanced button to see more options.

You might also want to see the documentation on 'Use Paste Special Options on Paste' under Preferences > Editing to get the default behavior you prefer (i.e. whether changes to Paste Special options persist as the default for regular pasting or are applied only when using Paste Special).

21 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

That's what I said. Arithmetic.