Drums midi mapping, is there an easy way?

micv

Question

I have old projects with midi drums programmed/mapped loosely to GM, I want to use my current vst drums (BFD3) which has its own mapping.  What I have to do is manual move each note to the new note.  I have worked out the exact note for note translation, but wonder if there is a script or better way to do this.

5 answers to this question

If you cant find a drum map, sometimes its easier to just move the drums themselves to a new home. You can easily select any drum kit piece by clicking on the Keyboard/Drum number on the left hand side of the Piano Roll view. One by one you can drag all hits to a new place.

• Like 1

If only a few note values need re-assigning, Chuck's solution may be faster. It seems the OP is moving individual notes (painful), but his method will select entire rows, allowing you to shift-drag (to preserve timing) them all to a new value (and should hear the kit pieces as you drag too).

For a lot of note values, a drum/key map may be more efficient, especially long term. If you go this route, be sure to save the mapping with a descriptive name so you know what it is and can find it later.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1