Is Windows 11 Around the Corner?

abacab

Windows 11 update will improve the legacy apps and features of the operating system. On the surface, we're expecting Windows to appear more modern with consistent design language, at least for first-party apps.

If the alleged legacy apps improvement makes my PCI audio card work the way it did a few Windows 10 updates ago, bring on Windows 11!!!!

Maybe we will have options like:

[   ]  It used to work under Windows 10 v. 1809 .

Maybe all the Compatibility Telemetry activity over the past year or two will be put to good use with the release of Windows 11.

of course there is the subscription pandemic crowd..........

I don't see that ever happening.  It would be a wet dream for Linux fanboys.   3rd party developers would suffer since I can't imagine users wanting to constantly pay for an OS.   It may work for office and photo apps for the casual user but we are talking about an OS here. 

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

ms did give away win10 for free, at least the basic (home?) version

Pro upgrade was free also. Like for like. Home for Home, Pro for Pro, etc.

I traded up a copy of Windows 7 Pro for a Windows 10 Pro license.

6 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

It'll just not be called Windows, hence Windows 10 will have been the last version of "Windows".  Problem solved 🙂

I remember reading, "Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows."

That's akin to saying, "I'll never do _____."  Almost always winds up happening.  🤪

• Haha 1

I read somewhere (can't find link now) that Windows 11 fixes the problem a lot of people have (for years now) of app windows rearranging when computer wakes up from sleep. This is for multi monitor setups. So if you've carefully put PRV and console windows
on one monitor and track window on another monitor, then  after the computer wakes up  all the app windows have moved and you have to move them back.

This link shows how you can get the fix via MS Insider Program
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/

It looks like my nine-year-old system won't run Windows 11.

This article in PC World mentions Microsoft's PC Health Check app, which includes the ability to see if your system can run Windows 11.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3622940/windows-11-system-hardware-requirements.html

I downloaded it and ran it, and it looks like my  system doesn't have TPM, at least not the right version.

My PC runs just fine, and I don't feel like replacing it so I can run Windows 11, so I'll miss out on the excitement.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mitch_I said:

It looks like my nine-year-old system won't run Windows 11.

This article in PC World mentions Microsoft's PC Health Check app, which includes the ability to see if your system can run Windows 11.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3622940/windows-11-system-hardware-requirements.html

I downloaded it and ran it, and it looks like my  system doesn't have TPM, at least not the right version.

My PC runs just fine, and I don't feel like replacing it so I can run Windows 11, so I'll miss out on the excitement.

Looks like my DAW PC is in the same boat... better start saving up for a new DAW PC!

I found out that my Asus Z390-A motherboard is only equipped with a TPM 14-1 pin header, part sold separately.

Fortunately the Asus TPM module is only a $15 part at Amazon and Newegg. Availability is 1-2 weeks. Better hurry... 😉