Opening my extremely old project

jkoseattle

I am re-working some music I did in 1994 on Cakewalk for DOS. The file format is .WRK and of course it's all Midi. Happily, I can open it in CbB and the tracks are faithfully rendered. Most of them play back (on my default output which is my electronic piano) with nothing of me required. Freaky. 

However, some tracks won't play back no matter what I do.  The I/O appears to be the same as the other tracks, nothing is muted, but they won't play back. I can see the gauge bouncing during playback so it thinks it's playing.  

I tried recording new content in that same track. The new content records and plays back, but the old notes still won't.

I also tried copying those notes to one of the tracks that plays, but they won't play on that track either. The velocity is normal on them. It seems to be those particular midi events that won't play. A couple other tracks in this project have the same issue. 

Incidentally, when I open the project, I get a dialog telling me the file contains exclusive Midi data designed to be sent automatically to my Midi gear, and asks me if I want to send it now. I say No because the gear I'm using now is completely different of course, so I worry that sys info would just mess up my current equipment. But I'm adding that info in here in case it's relevant.

I don't care what it sounds like really, it's fine if it just plays to my piano like the other tracks in the project. I'm simply using it as a reference for re-composing the piece. But I want to hear it somehow. Ideas?

I still open and use MIDI files I made in the mid 1980's on my Atari. I put a lot of work into those and if sometimes will find a song I would like to re -visit.  The other day I found "8dayzwek".       That's "Eight days a week"  in the 8 character naming protocol you had to use for files back then.   I still use the same basic foundation for my songs now as I did then.  They all open and play using TTS-1 with very little intervention on my behalf.   

Yea- I think one of the best things about Twelve Tone- CakeWalk -Banlab / CbB is the backwards compatibility all the way back to the late 80's. Amazing really for software.  I converted files from Texture back in the early 90's that are still viable projects today.