Unable to select Windows as audio output

agnorok

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Cakewalk to output audio to my computer's 3.5mm jack. My goal is to mimic what I was able to do with GarageBand on OSX; connect my guitar through a USB interface, play with GarageBand's amp emulator, listen through my 3.5mm headphones directly from the computer.

My setup: Guitar -> Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen (Input) -> Cakewalk v2021.04 (build 175, 64b) -> Scarlett Solo (output)

I am able to hear output audio from the Scarlett Solo 6.5mm jack, but for convenience it would be nice to use my computer audio. I'm just learning and trying to get the most simple practice setup I can on Windows.

For starters, Cakewalk recognizes my Scarlett as the only audio device. Is there a way to add the windows audio drivers here?

cakewalk.PNG

CbB is running in ASIO driver mode.

This is the preferred setting when using an audio interface with a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver.

ASIO supports one I/O driver at a time.

If there were other ASIO drivers installed they would show up on the preference screen above.

Unfortunately, the RealTek ASIO driver is not very good. And even if it was a good driver, it is not possible to select the Focurite ASIO driver for input and a different driver for output.

As a rule, ASIO drivers do not support mixing hardware from different manufacturers. Only a few manufacturers supply ASIO drivers that support using multiple interfaces at a time.

You can try changing the driver mode to WASAPI shared or WDM. The internal sound chip should be one of the devices available and these driver modes allow multiple different devices, however; there are performance trade-offs using these modes instead of the ASIO driver designed for the interface.

From a performance and reliability standpoint, this

My setup: Guitar -> Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen (Input) -> Cakewalk v2021.04 (build 175, 64b) -> Scarlett Solo (output)

using the Focusrite ASIO driver is your best solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agnorok said:

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Cakewalk to output audio to my computer's 3.5mm jack. My goal is to mimic what I was able to do with GarageBand on OSX; connect my guitar through a USB interface, play with GarageBand's amp emulator, listen through my 3.5mm headphones directly from the computer.

I am able to hear output audio from the Scarlett Solo 6.5mm jack, but for convenience it would be nice to use my computer audio. I'm just learning and trying to get the most simple practice setup I can on Windows.

For starters, Cakewalk recognizes my Scarlett as the only audio device. Is there a way to add the windows audio drivers here?

cakewalk.PNG

Why in God's name would you want to listen through the crappy onboard chip when you have a Focusrite?

• Like 1

This is a common issue with people who have just purchased an Audio Interface and have not yet purchased proper studio monitors. You have to use the outputs on the back of the interface and they only have consumer computer speakers. 

The workaround is use headphones all the time or plug your cheapo computer speakers into the headphone jack of the interface using an 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor.

Yes that's right, recording software might be free now, but the hobby does require a few bucks for some basic gear to set up even the most simple studio. 

Switch to WASAPI. If the integrated interface still doesn't show up, go into Windows Device Manager and make sure it hasn't been disabled.

Byron, nobody's going to disagree with you about the superiority of Focusrite over RealTek. However, the OP explicitly said he wants a simplified setup for practicing. Not recording, not mixing or mastering. For that, the built-in interface should do just fine. I do the same thing when I go on holiday and only want to be burdened by my laptop and nothing else. 

2 hours ago, bdickens said:

Why in God's name would you want to listen through the crappy onboard chip when you have a Focusrite?

I made it clear that I was looking for the most simple set up. I'm well aware it won't be the most performant, but I don't need studio quality when I'm just practicing.

For those that mentioned WASAPI, that worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!