Presonus Faderport 8 in use in Cakewalk by Bandlab

Blades

For whatever the worth, I have the FaderPort 16, and love it for Cakewalk - using the MCU protocols, and essentially you set up 2 8-track MCU control surfaces, to get to where I can control 16 tracks.

It is also true that not all of the FaderPort 16's buttons/functions work in Cakewalk, however I use it for tracking and mixing, at the track level, and it works great for that.  It is also built like a tank.

Best of luck to everyone, with any and all tools, software, and hardware, that assists in the realization of the sounds in your heads - creating and recording music is like breathing, to me.

Bob Bone

All that is happening in Cakewalk, is that value is mapped directly to the fader position on the channel strip. There is no db conversion going on whatsoever.

So, since this is the scenario, it seems that the setting would be on the Cakewalk side to ask "what is the range of the Mackie Control Surface faders" and then adjust how it behaves, mathematically, accordingly.  Agree?  Seems like a "simple" fix to the control surface part of things (says the drummer who used to be a mainframe programmer who makes websites these days).

17 minutes ago, Blades said:

So, since this is the scenario, it seems that the setting would be on the Cakewalk side to ask "what is the range of the Mackie Control Surface faders" and then adjust how it behaves, mathematically, accordingly.  Agree?  Seems like a "simple" fix to the control surface part of things (says the drummer who used to be a mainframe programmer who makes websites these days).

Hey there, fellow former mainframer!  (says the keyboard player who worked in all levels of mainframe IT for 38 years, who then did a bunch of web work, and now just occasionally build little utility programs for Windows stuff, for myself)........

Here's one for you:  There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who do not.

Ta Da :)

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to this after some other interesting revelations on the Studio One side of this controller (which I think are demystified now):

So - is there a solution to this?  @Noel Borthwick is there someone you can work with over at Presonus to come to some kind of workable solution?  It's not just that the markers don't match up - it's the little fader move that happens when you release for some reason - I guess because the resolution of the fader on the FP8 is expecting a different overall range than the Cakewalk screen representation or something.

Either way - it's pretty annoying and as mentioned, since it seems to be common that the devices (Mackie, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus FP, 8, and 16), which are all using Mackie control protocol are labeled with +10 (though I did find that Novation's are marked +6 and Avid and Slate are marked at +12 (not sure if they are Mackie or not)), and Cakewalk uses that Mackie protocol, that it would follow the markings on the matching hardware.

I would even kind of get it if at least the Unity marker were right and it was just off from there, but it's weird to move a fader on the hardware to the Unity mark and have it drift downward by about 3db or so and then when you look at the screen - sure enough it IS at -3db.  And really oddly if you move the on-screen fader to 0, the FaderPort is at 0 as well.  Just seems really inconsistent with it being "just a labeling problem".