Bill Phillips

Audio Pops and Crackling During Playback while Mixing

On 4/15/2019 at 6:53 PM, Gswitz said:

I exempt all wav files from scanning in addition to exes etc. I found that when I would stop a long recording the scanner would suddenly scan the waves. This would press processor for a few minutes and potentially cause IO driven dropouts.

Exactly - so the drives where my sample libraries reside hold nothing else, so I exclude those drives in their entirety, and then I also exempt the VST64 folder in Program Files, as well as the VST3 folder, as well as the Cakewalk Projects folder and the Cakewalk Content, and the AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk folder.  I think that about does it - oh yeah, also Program Files\Cakewalk.

5 hours ago, Twisted Fingers said:

Thanks Craig. I was only using the Izotope Production Suite and they're all up to date.

Hey, I might have missed it, but if you are on a laptop or a desktop and with either, are using WiFi, or have a WiFi transmitter turned, those are NOTORIOUS for causing audio problems.  When I am on my laptop, I always turn the actual transmitter off - or, you can disable the WiFi device until after finishing the Cakewalk/Sonar session.

The other thing I would mention is that I have a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port on it, which I sought deliberately, and I bought a UAD Arrow for it, mostly not used for recording, but to act as my D/A converter for live performance with VST Hosting software for my soft synths.  I am not sure what your needs are, as far as features and ports, but for what I use the UAD Arrow for, it works AMAZINGLY fast, with data transfers across the Thunderbolt 3 cable screaming fast.  Only has 2 combo ins and a Hi-Z though.  I got mine for $499 from Sweetwater, which seems to be the standard price I have seen them for.

Building myself a monster desktop with an AMD-based CPU and motherboard, well that is one thing  I rather regret - because I did not know at the time that that computer would not be able to add Thunderbolt 3 support, as the motherboard would need a header on it, and I understand that, at least when I bought the parts, that Thunderbolt 3 was only licensed to Intel-based motherboards.  Bit of a bummer, because I would have shot the wad on getting Thunderbolt 3 support for that desktop, were it available, as there are also now several Thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces with lots of inputs and outputs and features.

Anyways, I hope any of the above stuff is of any help,

Bob Bone

On 4/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, Robert Bone said:

Hey, I might have missed it, but if you are on a laptop or a desktop and with either, are using WiFi, or have a WiFi transmitter turned, those are NOTORIOUS for causing audio problems.  When I am on my laptop, I always turn the actual transmitter off - or, you can disable the WiFi device until after finishing the Cakewalk/Sonar session.

The other thing I would mention is that I have a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port on it, which I sought deliberately, and I bought a UAD Arrow for it, mostly not used for recording, but to act as my D/A converter for live performance with VST Hosting software for my soft synths.  I am not sure what your needs are, as far as features and ports, but for what I use the UAD Arrow for, it works AMAZINGLY fast, with data transfers across the Thunderbolt 3 cable screaming fast.  Only has 2 combo ins and a Hi-Z though.  I got mine for $499 from Sweetwater, which seems to be the standard price I have seen them for.

Building myself a monster desktop with an AMD-based CPU and motherboard, well that is one thing  I rather regret - because I did not know at the time that that computer would not be able to add Thunderbolt 3 support, as the motherboard would need a header on it, and I understand that, at least when I bought the parts, that Thunderbolt 3 was only licensed to Intel-based motherboards.  Bit of a bummer, because I would have shot the wad on getting Thunderbolt 3 support for that desktop, were it available, as there are also now several Thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces with lots of inputs and outputs and features.

Anyways, I hope any of the above stuff is of any help,

Bob Bone

Bob, thanks. My ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard has WiFi capability but I didn't install the software or the antenna and don't see WiFi interface in Device Manager.

I did install the Thunderbolt 3 card but have never used it. I want to improve my recording and mixing capabilities before I spend any more on stuff.

• Great Idea 1

On 4/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, Twisted Fingers said:

Thanks razor7music.  That's existing post is pretty old, but a lot of the discussion seems relevant.  My Record and Playback I/O buffer size is 512 kB by default. I don't recall ever adjusting them. The 64-bit Double Precision Engine on but I don't believe that's a problem. My CPU is idling along at under 10% of capacity.

Just a thought...have you tried freezing your midi tracks one at a time to see at least if its a particular track is doing this.  i had a similar problem and freezing sorted it.  My laptop isnt a great spec so I have to freeze midi tracks if Im adding in a lot of them such as synths etc. 

• Thanks 1