Cakewalk Stays In Memory After Exit / Cannot Re-Launch

I've had this issue since Sonar 7 and pinned it down to a hang in my ASIO M-Audio driver. Power cycle on my Audio Interface has always freed the application from memory.
Or the technique mentioned by Clovis (above) also works, but can raise issues if you have anything else other that Cakewalk running in the background.

I started seeing this with 057 too. I rolled back to 053 and it will close and 057 won't. I flipped back and forth and it's consistent on my system. 

Try rolling back to 053 and see if it exits correctly and ends the app.

Edited by Terry Kelley

This has happened to me pretty regularly for about as long as I can remember using CbB. Exit the program, there's no sign of it visually but the process is still running in Task Manager. If I try to open the program, nothing happens. Have to manually close it in Task Manager, then opening it works fine. Doesn't seem to interfere with using the program but an extra little hassle.

Back in May I submitted a dump and created a ticket with support about this issue.  We had many email exchanges and they were very nice and helpful.  I got the impression they are aware of this happening and they've been doing things in updates to mitigate it.  In all honesty, there could be something else going on with my computer.  I think my situation has improved but I still occasionally have a cakewalk process hang, as happened today.  I created an autohotkey script that brings hangs to my attention.  I put a red KillCW button into an Autohotkey gui that I run frequently for other purposes (part of gui is shown below).  Green means Cakewalk is running, red means it's not running.  So if I see it green when it shouldn't be, I just click the button and it kills cakewalk process, which is a quick way without going into taskmgr.  The button just runs these 2 commands:

Winclose, Cakewalk
Process, close, cakewalk.exe

image.png.c960a73cfe257f160893655a5fbb243f.png

Edited by craigr68

• 1 month later...

For me, this seems to happen when I have certain plugins in a project. So far in my testing, a few Waves plugins seem to create this effect. I close the program and it seems to close, but when I try to relaunch, nothing happens. I check Task Manager and Cakewalk.exe is still running, but now as a background process.

If I manually close it in Task Manager and reopen, it opens and works normally.

After a while, I got tired of this extra step and created a task in Task Scheduler that closes the program and all child processes, then created a shortcut to the task in my task bar. If I close the program using that taskbar link instead of the X or File menu in Cakewalk, it closes the program completely and then it will work when reopened.

The task I created is:

taskkill /f /t /im Cakewalk.exe

• Like 1

Like OP,  I've also had this since forever (more than 10+ years now?) 

Sonar crashes; this happens randomly at random times, its not a plugin or a WoW or thing I'm doing, but it stays in memory until I try to "force close" it from Task Manager. Most of the time Sonar will restart. Otherwise I must reboot. 

I've brought this up over the years here, but never got a final answer on it. 

I think this is still hardware driver related. I believe this is still the M-Audio MIDISPORT 8x8 driver, although it also might be the NI Maschine hardware driver. I don't think its RME drivers as I've never seen them stuck.