Sonible Smart EQ3+

cclarry

• 2 weeks later...

A product (not only plugins) with the word 'Smart' in the name raises my hackles! 😆

So many times I've noticed they are everything else than "smart"! Maybe the purpose is to obscure this!

• 3 weeks later...

This crashed on me over and over, so I had to remove it from my song.  

Anybody else have problems with it?  

It's probably something on my end.  I hate to criticize Sonible in any way, because they are one of my favorite companies. 

Certainly there is no risk for anybody to get this as they have free trials of their products. 

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

This crashed on me over and over, so I had to remove it from my song.  

Anybody else have problems with it?  

It's probably something on my end.  I hate to criticize Sonible in any way, because they are one of my favorite companies. 

Certainly there is no risk for anybody to get this as they have free trials of their products. 

Were you using the VST3 or VST version?

Switching might solve the issue (from VST to VST3 or visa versa)

I use Izotope software and was interested in SmartEQ 3. I would be very interested if a knowledgeable user comparable with both could compare the two. I'm very much not very knowledgeable when it comes to eq/mixing/mastering and Izotope is pretty useful for me. With that in mind, how does SmartEQ3 compare?  (And yes, I'm going to check out the video shared earlier in the thread). 

• Like 1

I have been trying out various "smart" Eq's of late.

I have tried Smooth Operator, Gulfoss and Sonible Smart EQ3.

I have to be honest in that I couldn't seem to get on with any of them - of the 3,  definitely Smooth Operator was the worse in my very humble opinion.

The EQ I did like was the free sonible one (entropy) I saw when downloading the Smart EQ - that's gone into my daily arsenal!!

I am sure this is down to me not really understanding what these are trying to do (and probably being too impatient to persevere with them)  and therefore I end up preferring the "sound" i get manually. Perhaps if I didn't / couldn't get that sound I wanted, I would find these very useful.

Nigel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

I have been trying out various "smart" Eq's of late.

I have tried Smooth Operator, Gulfoss and Sonible Smart EQ3.

I have to be honest in that I couldn't seem to get on with any of them - of the 3,  definitely Smooth Operator was the worse in my very humble opinion.

The EQ I did like was the free sonible one (entropy) I saw when downloading the Smart EQ - that's gone into my daily arsenal!!

I am sure this is down to me not really understanding what these are trying to do (and probably being too impatient to persevere with them)  and therefore I end up preferring the "sound" i get manually. Perhaps if I didn't / couldn't get that sound I wanted, I would find these very useful.

Nigel

Glufoss and Smooth Operator are kind of "psychoacoustic" EQs who will"listen" and  try to make a mix more pleasant to the ear.
Smart EQ is a "regular" EQ that "listens" to your sound source and will create an EQ curve based on a learning profile (kick drum, snare, guitar, vocals...).

Smart EQ 3 can also do unmasking EQ between tracks (up to 6) that you can place in three levels (front, medium, back).

What I noticed is that Smart EQ 3 produces different results than Smart EQ 2 using the same profile and audio source (a simple sampled kick drum for example). I found Smart EQ 2 to produce more pleasant results. I reported this and am waiting to know if it's a bug or a feature :D