How to get audio in OBS

Xel Ohh

If you have an audio interface with a loopback feature, you simply add the Loopback to as your Desktop audio input in OBS - This brings your DAW or any app that is playing sound into OBS. The beauty of this feature is you don't need to mess with your ASIO driver set up. I found it a huge PITA to change to WASAPI shared just to make a video. I'd often forget I'd done this which causes problems when just using Cakewalk. Now I never have to change drivers or devices or anything. And I can fire up OBS in 2 seconds and start recording. 

For Narration  I add my Interfaces Input 1/2 as a the Mike channel input.

For the DAW playback you add the Loopback as the desktop audio input to OBS. 

It gives me 2 audio inputs and 2 level controls so I can mix the balance between DAW playback and narration in real time as I record like I see you did in the video. 

I'm not sure,  but I think that FL studio ASIO driver is sort of like the Steinberg or asio4all drivers which can take over your proper drivers functions. If you use it, and then switch back to ASIO,  make sure to double check in Sync and cashing that your interface is the device for sync. I highly recommend getting your hands on a interface with a loopback if you want to do hassle free live streaming or just screen capture and not have to change driver modes to do so. 

Otherwise this seems like a good solution for those who don't have a loopback option. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3

@John Vere that a good way to do it if your interface has that feature.. But not everyone has one that does feedback loops.. This is way that no matter what you have It should work one way or another just trying to help where I can.. Thanks for the comment..😄🙏

• Like 2

Absolutely. Sorry if it seemed I was negative about your video was not intended as you can see from my last paragraph. 
When i got my Motu M4 and saw it had loop back I figured it was something that I would never use. But now I see why this feature has become popular. Lots of folks doing live streaming and stuff. 
My old pos sound blaster had that What you hear option. 
Any how, keep making those videos you do a great job. 

Edited by John Vere

On 4/18/2021 at 3:57 PM, John Vere said:

Absolutely. Sorry if it seemed I was negative about your video was not intended as you can see from my last paragraph. 
When i got my Motu M4 and saw it had loop back I figured it was something that I would never use. But now I see why this feature has become popular. Lots of folks doing live streaming and stuff. 
My old pos sound blaster had that What you hear option. 
Any how, keep making those videos you do a great job. 

I use an RME fireface 800 and it has loopback as well. Tested it and it works a dream. Thanks

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

1 hour ago, Nando Moraes said:

@John Vere I'm not familiar with the function loopback, i own a Tascam US16x08... do you have a tutorial of what you described on your YT channel?

No I don't, Loopback is a feature added to most newer interfaces. Your Tascam is the newer upgrade to my us1641 and is a very good interface, but it doesn't have loop back. If your interface does have Loopback then it is availlable to any software like OBS as an option for recording audio input. It basically takes to main output of the interface and makes it available as an input. My Motu M4 has this and you have the option of Loopback or Loopback Mix. 

I use the Loopback Mix  which will be exactly what I'm hearing in my Headphones or Monitors.  Then I use Cakewalks Master to balance between my Naration and Playback. That way my mouse is focused on Cakewalk not OBS. Spacebar not only starts and stops Cakewalk, it stops and starts OBS!! 

If you don't want to spring for a new interface then you can rig up what I used to use which was a small mixer. Your Tascam has extra outputs so would work great. 

I used a Scarlett 6i6 and the 3/4 outputs ran to a stereo channel of a Mackie Mix 8. Plug my mike into the mixer in Channel 1. The Mix 8 outputs ran to inputs 1/2 of the interface. You could use 3/4 if OBS will recognize them.  It seems to see 3/4 of my Motu but it didn't for my Scarlett. So all you do is use the mixer to blend the DAW playback with anything else like your mike or even a camers audio output. 

There's probably a way to loopback using audio cables out and back in to an interface if the interface has a software mixer but I couldn't get that working with the Scarlett. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes i have this problem with OBS it will record my mic in OBS and video or MP3 etc i play from desktop but will not record Cakewalk output thats going to my desktop audio interface. My interface as SPIDF and 12 outputs but no loop back lol