Meters doubling and trippling

tecknot

Hi All,

I created a theme with meters that cover the color spectrum from blue to red (blue being a very low level signal to red representing a clipping signal).  However, my meters are cut into two or three sections instead of a single sequential stream from blue to red (if that makes sense).  For instance, the lower end of the signal level will show slight blue, green, yellow and a little orange or red and then another section of colors from blue to orange/red as the signal gets hotter.  So instead of one consistent meter it looks like two or three meters in one.

Has anyone experienced this or maybe has a fix so that my meters look normal (but colorful)?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Edited by tecknot
  • Like 1

You mean something like this?

n1h9QsQ.png

Nah, I don't think that can be done. 9_9

No, but seriously, as I use Photoshop I would use the Wand  tool with the option Contiguous selected and then Shift+Click select all three segments.  Once all segments are selected I would create a Gradient with all those colours and apply to the selection.

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

You mean something like this?

n1h9QsQ.png

Nah, I don't think that can be done. 9_9

No, but seriously, as I use Photoshop I would use the Wand  tool with the option Contiguous selected and then Shift+Click select all three segments.  Once all segments are selected I would create a Gradient with all those colours and apply to the selection.

Yeah, you got it.  I don't use Photoshop, but I get the idea.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Canopus.

Kind regards,

tecknot

I redid my "spectrum" meters, but I still get the same results when in CbB.  The meters cut short say around 2 to 4dB and then restart from there to the height (or loudness) of the signal, so it looks like I have multiple meters in one.  The meters never really show in orange or red, just segments of blue to green and maybe a little yellow.  Below is a picture of what I"m talking about.  If my meters worked properly, they would look similar to what Canopus posted (just a little more colorful and brighter) in CbB (during recording and playback).

I think I can share my theme on Dropbox if anyone is interested.

Kind regards

meters in CbB.png

Do you realize the bottom half of the meter is its background (which can be totally transparent or empty if you want) and the top half is the meter? So when designing the meter itself, edit only the top half.

Post your meter.png right here like a screen shot and I'll take a look.

10 hours ago, sjoens said:

Do you realize the bottom half of the meter is its background (which can be totally transparent or empty if you want) and the top half is the meter? So when designing the meter itself, edit only the top half.

Post your meter.png right here like a screen shot and I'll take a look.

Yes, I understand the two halves are different.  The bottom half matches my theme background so that it seems invisible when not in use.  Per your request, attached is copy of my .png meter file.

Meters.Track view meters.Vertical Audio Meters.png

Edited by tecknot

Above pixel 56 your meter is fine, but in order to look right you need to change all colors below 56 to the same color. You're using a color gradient below this point causing the effect you see.

From pixel 56 down, Cakewalk repeats the graphic until the audio signal reaches -6dB at which point it begins to display the upper part of the graphic. This is because the meter has only one graphic to accommodate 6 different dB ranges (12 to 90). If each range had it's own graphic, you could achieve the desired affect. The X series wasn't originally meant to be customized so it's a limitation we live with.

Edited by sjoens

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

Above pixel 56 your meter is fine, but in order to look right you need to change all colors below 56 to the same color. You're using a color gradient below this point causing the effect you see.

From pixel 56 down, Cakewalk repeats the graphic until the audio signal reaches -6dB at which point it begins to display the upper part of the graphic. This is because the meter has only one graphic to accommodate 6 different dB ranges (12 to 90). If each range had it's own graphic, you could achieve the desired affect. The X series wasn't originally meant to be customized so it's a limitation we live with.

Thanks, sjoens.  That explains the similarities in the available meter templates, but that's a bummer for my design.  Guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Kind regards,

tecknot