Palindrome Sampler by Glitchmachines for 12 dollar + levels gift

aidan o driscoll

I don't know anything about it, but it sounds good to me, and it's about the price of a set of sound patches.  It also doesn't look all that complicated.  I just picked up the Hypernode on sale, so I hate finding something else just to waste the freebie of the month.

Any Glitchmachines instrument is worth $12 even if you never stray from the presets. A few years ago I bought Cataract sort of by accident on deep discount. I hadn't gotten back into drone/industrial/ambient yet and for some reason I thought it was more like Sitala and Speedrum. I think I just saw "sampler" and snagged it. Now of course I love it.

Palindrome has the coolest looking interface ev-ar, but it's also in my experience the hardest one of their samplers to get my head around. It takes your sample, represented by the purple dots, on a trip around the purple lines. The lines are in certain shapes; you can use either the preset ones or create your own. Traveling to each quadrant takes it to different parameters and morphs it with the other samples. As with most of their stuff, it's not the sort of thing where "I have this sound in my head and I'm going to create it step-by-step," it's more "I'll drop a few cool samples in here and see what happens."

And yes, you can drag and drop audio clips directly from a Cakewalk audio track to the Palindrome UI, so way easy to set your samples up using CbB rather than trying to futz with them in the Palindrome UI or external audio editor. It also comes with a library of over 350 samples you can use wherever you want.

If I have a complaint with any of Glitchmachines amazing products, it's that I don't always want to make a sound that "grinds," and it takes some effort to use the cool features but keep it more ambient and less industrial. They obviously love metallic, dissonant tones. I do too, sometimes, but what I like best about this type of software are the rhythmic and psychoacoustic possibilities. Also, I don't always want to completely obliterate my original sample. I find it easier to get that kind of result with Unfiltered Audio's stuff and MRhythmizer, but if you're doing sound design, it's the journey, innit?

I bought Palindrome just for the UI when it was $10. Irresistible:

path1.png

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

Well I just had to buy this even though I know I'll probably never use it!!! Thankfully it only cost me 6 bucks as I had some points

I bought it as the first group I was in was called Notlob, which of course as everyone knows is a Palindrome of Bolton!!! I think some Monty Python sketch was to blame for this dreadful name and yes we were as bad as the name suggests!!!!!

Nigel