Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
craigb

What deals used to be

Recommended Posts

I grew up in San Diego and a friend worked for this company.  I remember laughing at this ad because who the heck needs 10 MB of storage anyway???  I waited until the price came down to $910 and bought one...  *Sigh...* 🙄

OzuJgcy58_1jwVdR4YUquUHz22APPtLj2sw16mV3

  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10MB? That's insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep...in my IBM "XT" days, that was a huge hard drive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember buying a 30 meg drive for Atari ST in the late 1980s  for $500 as a major deal and thought I’d never be able to fill that. 
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My songs used to be on 4 mb disk on my akai s950 !! now it's not even my kick lol 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, David Sprouse said:

Craig why are you avoiding me?

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tossed out some old computer magazines last year.  I kept them for the heck of it because I liked to look and see what the prices were.  We really have come a long way and we still will find a reason to complain 😆

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greg said:

I remember buying a 30 meg drive for Atari ST in the late 1980s  for $500 as a major deal and thought I’d never be able to fill that. 
 

 

I tell folks about my buying a 20 MB hard disk for a screaming deal at $1500 - which it was - in earlier times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember playing ADVENTURE on the HP3000 Series III.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still remember making punch cards to play Oregon Trail on the School Mainframe...LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first PC based on Intel 486 CPU had two HDDs - 200MB and 400MB. It couldn't play back mp3 files, but other than that it was a monster, running the latest Windows 98. I still have boxes of floppies with data created on that machine, but no floppy drive to read them. I've upgraded my PCs only 5 times since then. That's not a lot, considering the time span.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bapu said:

I remember playing ADVENTURE on the HP3000 Series III.

Small world!  So you were running my code!  (Me and a guy named Lance who I worked with on this.) 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have my old 8088 around.  It has 2 - yes 2! 20 mb hard drives and 2 floppy drives.  I was SET!   I have no idea if it still works.  I should probably try to set it up and turn it on.   It got me through college, so I was happy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lizzie Foster said:

I still have my old 8088 around.  It has 2 - yes 2! 20 mb hard drives and 2 floppy drives.  I was SET!   I have no idea if it still works.  I should probably try to set it up and turn it on.   It got me through college, so I was happy. 

I still have one of my two Atari ST music computers somewhere in my crawl space. Yeah, I think it's time to let that go. I haven't turned that on since the early 90s! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PavlovsCat said:

I still have one of my two Atari ST music computers somewhere in my crawl space. Yeah, I think it's time to let that go. I haven't turned that on since the early 90s! 

I'd need to take the drives out and make them unusable first.  I really miss that degausser at the radio station I used to work at.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lizzie Foster said:

I'd need to take the drives out and make them unusable first.  I really miss that degausser at the radio station I used to work at.  

Was the degausser electric or one of those large magnets with a big metal grip?

Heh, side-note, my friend likes to use old hard drive magnets like most people use fridge magnets.  The huge difference is the power!  You can actually use them on standard drywall walls because they'll stick to the screw heads that are buried (they make for a cheap stud finder too!).  If you use them on your fridge, they can be quite difficult to get off!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, craigb said:

Was the degausser electric or one of those large magnets with a big metal grip?

Heh, side-note, my friend likes to use old hard drive magnets like most people use fridge magnets.  The huge difference is the power!  You can actually use them on standard drywall walls because they'll stick to the screw heads that are buried (they make for a cheap stud finder too!).  If you use them on your fridge, they can be quite difficult to get off!

it was an electric one.  Not very big.  We used it to clean the big reel to reel tapes that we played programming with.  It was an am station that did talk before switching to sports.  The talk shows were all recorded and replayed at night.  They also used it to clean the 4-tracks we used for commercials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I tossed out some old computer magazines last year.  I kept them for the heck of it because I liked to look and see what the prices were.  We really have come a long way and we still will find a reason to complain 😆

I still have my old invoice for the first desktop computer I ever bought. I keep it for nostalgia sake and also as a milestone in my life.

 

pointless useless history below --

there used to be a media mogul up here in Canada named Ted Rogers. He was a big believer in the future and the Internet. I used for work for his corporation back in the early 90s. He implemented this thing at one point for employees where you could get an interest free loan from the company to buy yourself a desktop computer and pay it  back over a 12 month period. You could only use it once for your first PC.  I took advantage of it. I believe it cost $1500.  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...