Constant Flashing Hourglass

PiedmontJim

Question

I've had Cakewalk downloaded for some time and it's never worked. Once I open a project from an old version of Cakewalk or create a new project it has always dropped audio with code (0). Going through the troubleshooting steps has never yielded anything. It's a moderately high-end PC, so it's not an issue of resources. 

I checked for updates because I have a project I'd like to work on and there was a new update - Yay! Maybe it will work this time. Good news - no dropped audio. Bad news - it still doesn't work. Observable behavior:

1. The cursor gives me a nice strobed hourglass. This is non-stop. You can click on something, but you have to catch the timing in between flashing hourglasses.
  2. There is an error that constantly adds countless message boxes that read, "Cannot find or open file."

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to make Cakewalk function?

5 answers to this question

You are going to have to give us some information about your system and what you've tried so far (other than updating Cakewalk)

Detailed PC specs (hardware and OS) are needed

What audio interface and driver mode (WASAPI or ASIO  - ASIO being preferred)

What sample rate, bit depth and sample buffer size?

Is your Windows fully patched?

Have you installed latest drivers for all of your hardware? (using manufacturer's websites rather than Windows updates)

Have you tried exiting Cakewalk by Bandlab, going to the following folder,  making a copy of and then rename the AUD.INI file?

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

I have the system as outlined in my signature, with the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab, and I have never had the issues that you have described (and that’s using some CPU heavy soft synths).

14 hours ago, Promidi said:

Sure thing:

You are going to have to give us some information about your system and what you've tried so far (other than updating Cakewalk)

I've tried many of the things on this page when the audio was dropping out. I stopped going through the lengthy list that starts about halfway down when the update removed this issue.

Detailed PC specs (hardware and OS) are needed

Win 10 Pro, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 16GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 with 8G VRAM, 1TB M.2 system drive.

What audio interface and driver mode (WASAPI or ASIO  - ASIO being preferred)

Realtek ASIO

What sample rate, bit depth and sample buffer size?

I've tried changing these in various combinations.

Is your Windows fully patched?

Yes.

Have you installed latest drivers for all of your hardware? (using manufacturer's websites rather than Windows updates)

Yes.

Have you tried exiting Cakewalk by Bandlab, going to the following folder,  making a copy of and then rename the AUD.INI file?

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

I have not tried that so I will now. It didn't work.

I have the system as outlined in my signature, with the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab, and I have never had the issues that you have described (and that’s using some CPU heavy soft synths).

Edited by PiedmontJim

The only thing that stands out there is Realtek ASIO.  I do remember reading on other posts (can't lay my hand on the specific posts) that Realtek ASIO has never been that reliable.

Are you able to grab yourself a USB audio interface that come with its own ASIO drivers?

• Thanks 1

Thanks! It was indeed the Realtek ASIO and the use of the internal sound chip. I don't have an audio interface. My sound equipment is geared toward live performance rather than recording and my PC is set up more for video processing. The WASAPI solution worked and I should be able to do what I need for this project. An interface may be in the cards if these kinds of projects start to increase.