grannis

Can you drive the Matrix via the Step Sequencer?

Question

Matrix is cool, step sequencer is cool. I want to be able to load multiple samples into the matrix and use the Step Sequencer to fire the columns for me in a pattern. Is that possible, or is it a feature request?

5 answers to this question

Hi grannis,

Unfortunately, the MV and SS run independently with no interconnectivity.  Sounds like a good idea though.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Yes, it is possible.

Here is one way...

• Add a virtual MIDI cable to CbB (the "missing" interconnectivity)
    • I installed LoopBe1. While not as flexible as LoopMIDI, it does not have the latency that LoopMIDI introduces.
    • Add LoopBe1 as  MIDI input and output device in CbB preferences
  • Create the project
    • Add  audio and MIDI tracks to a new project.
    • Set the MIDI track output to LoopBe1.
    • Add the Step Sequencer to the MIDI track.
    • Open the Matrix view and add samples to a couple cells in different columns
  • Matrix View MIDI learn
    • Click on one of the columns in the Matrix View and set to MIDI learn.
    • Click the steps in a row in Step Sequencer. A couple of notes should be enough to teach the Matrix View column.
    • Repeat for each column using different notes in the Step Sequencer

Now the fun begins...clear the step sequencer and start programing the Matrix View using the step sequencer.

Enjoy

Note: LoopBe1 is defined as both a MIDI input and output device, take care to avoid creating a MIDI feedback loop. If LoopBe1 detects feedback it will mute its output. The may be re-enabled by clicking on the LoopBe1 icon in the Windows notification area. One thing to help avoid creating a loop is disabling Always Echo Current MIDI Track in preferences.

@scook - that's very cool, thank you. MIDI routing in CW does seem a little limited - like only one synth per midi track. Guess this can solve that too?

The traditional solution is the use of linked clips, copying the data from one instrument/MIDI track to the others.

Another solution uses a virtual MIDI cable to distribute MIDI data from one track to others.

One can get the same result by using a plug-in that echoes MIDI data. For this method, I use one of the Code FN42 such as MIDIChFilter,  NoteMapper or Veloscaler  but it could be any "synth" plug-in capable of sending data. This plug-in will appear as an input to any instrument/MIDI track.

5 hours ago, scook said:

The traditional solution is the use of linked clips, copying the data from one instrument/MIDI track to the others.

Another solution is using a virtual MIDI cable to distribute a MIDI track to other instrument/MIDI tracks.

One can get the same result by using a plug-in that echoes MIDI data. For this method, I use one of the Code FN42 such as MIDIChFilter,  NoteMapper or Veloscaler  but it could be any "synth" plug-in capable of sending data. This plug-in will appear as an input to any instrument/MIDI track.

Linked clips are ok sometimes - a bit of a pain when editing, but a real pain when writing/recording - you have to duplicate everything before you can hear what you intended it to sound like. I'll take a look at those plugins - thanks again

EDIT: about 30 minutes later... it worked like a charm!!

Edited by grannis