Routing audio and midi with soft synths

JP van Rumste

Hi all. 
Quite a few soft synths in my collection have external inputs, meaning there intended to process audio coming from an external source. I am, however, having a hard time figuring out if it is at all possible to get a soft synth (cynthia, in this case) to get and midi and audio input. I can get either audio input, using cynthia as an audio effect on an instrument track but then it doesn't get midi input, or I can get midi input using cynthia as an instrument on an instrument track, but then I can't feed audio into it. 
As I'm out of ideas as how to accomplish my goal I thought I'd ask here. 
I guess the million dollar question is: is it at all possible to have a soft synth get and audio and midi input? And in case the answer's yes, how? 
As a sidenote:  a while ago I succeeded in creating a track with the icon shown below, but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. Anybody a clue? 652457200_Whatkindatrack.png.2b4102239cfa413f448439686e91296f.png
Thnx heaps in advance for any assistance. 
Enjoy. 

P.S. In case it is not possible to route audio and midi to a softsynth I intend to make it a feature request. Anybody for? 

After writing the above I realized that it might be important to add some more information about my setup. So, here goes.
Win 10 pro 64 bit, latest bandlab cakewalk 64 bit, i7 Intel core laptop and, I think quite important, no external devices whatsoever; no soundcard, no midi-controllers, ...  I use only the drivers provided by windows. 
The setup I use for the in the above topic mentioned routing is: As an instrument I use transition (https://www.codefn42.com/transition/index.html) to generate midi notes. On that track I can choose the relevant midi output channel. On a second track I use sforzando sample player (https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html) to generate sound. As an effect on that track I use Cynthia (https://plugins4free.com/plugin/789/) (FX  version) which indeed gets the audio input and can be automated through the dedicated automation lanes, but it doesn't react to the midi notes from the transition instrument which is what I'd like to achieve. 
On the other hand when I insert another track with cynthia as a vst instrument it reacts to the midi notes from transition (if and when the relevant input is selected) but it doesn't get the external audio. 
This is as far as I got. 

Enjoy.

Really should avoid 32bit plug-ins.

Synths that process audio are added to the FX rack of the audio/instrument track.

An additional MIDI must be added to the project if the synth needs MIDI data.

Any plug-ins that can receive MIDI data show up in a MIDI track's output drop down.

That said, there are two dlls supplied with Cyntha. One is the FX version. This is the version I would use in an audio/instrument FX rack.

Just like the synth plug-in, the FX accepts MIDI data, however; because it scans as a effect, it does not have "Enable MIDI Input" turned on by default. 

To turn on "Enable MIDI Input" on effects plug-ins like Cynthia FX, click on the VST2/3 drop down in the standard header and select the option.

WBoEAIf.png

When 32bit plug-ins are loaded by BitBridge, the standard header is in a separate window. 

To see the standard header hold down the ALT key when opening the plug-in UI. 

Usually the header window opens behind the main plug-in UI.

The icon indicates the audio track has a soft synth as its input.