Gain reduction meter from some compressors on the channel strip

solarlux

40 minutes ago, backwoods said:

protools has this and also aax has some kind of ability for third party plugin makers to make use of it too. that and the ability for EQ plugins to alter the channel strip eq representation- eg mcdsp, fabfilter, sonnox

Yes and would be cool atleast from one stock compressor posibility to see gain reduction meter in channel strip : )

42 minutes ago, backwoods said:

protools has this and also aax has some kind of ability for third party plugin makers to make use of it too. that and the ability for EQ plugins to alter the channel strip eq representation- eg mcdsp, fabfilter, sonnox

Nice, in pro tools can be switched from which compressor want to see gain reduction meter : )

28 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

What happens if you have 2 "stock" compressors in the Pro Channel for a given track/bus?

Show sum of 2 compressors gain reduction. For example 2 compressors and sum together

or some menu where can select which compressor GR you want to see

GR.thumb.jpg.9c4577496a1eebbcaeb979a4180ac81f.jpg

Edited by solarlux

• 3 months later...

I requested this a while back before I was a staff member... now that I've looked at the code, I realise why we don't do it - VST / DirectX doesn't natively support it.

The only way this could be done, would be to allow the binding of a meter to a VST parameter chosen by the user (assuming of course the VST in question actually exposes the meter position as a parameter). 

This is not a trivial piece of work, and throws up a bunch of issues like how to define/map the meter scale etc.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I requested this a while back before I was a staff member... now that I've looked at the code, I realise why we don't do it - VST / DirectX doesn't natively support it.

The only way this could be done, would be to allow the binding of a meter to a VST parameter chosen by the user (assuming of course the VST in question actually exposes the meter position as a parameter). 

This is not a trivial piece of work, and throws up a bunch of issues like how to define/map the meter scale etc.

What if it reads as an overall reduction meter for the channel? and not just for a certain plugin? Does it come down to the same coding problem? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 minute ago, Will_Kaydo said:

What if it reads as an overall reduction meter for the channel? and not just for a certain plugin? Does it come down to the same coding issue? 

That's an interesting idea - so basically a meter showing the difference between post clip gain & pre-fader.

I've no idea how useful this would be in a practical sense though - unless the only thing you have in your fx bin is a compressor.

It does raise a thought about maybe being able to patch a reduction meter between any two places in the signal chain. That would mean you could put it "around" a specific compressor plugin, or any group of plugins.  It would also have to cope with increases in volume, not just reduction.

Still not a trivial piece of work... but worth a discussion.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

That's an interesting idea - so basically a meter showing the difference between post clip gain & pre-fader.

Basically yes. 

23 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I've no idea how useful this would be in a practical sense though - unless the only thing you have in your fx bin is a compressor.

If you bring "clipping" into that equation? let it work as a true gain reduction meter - for that purpose? Don't know. Although my explanation here are moving slightly back to compression. 😅

You get the idea right? As an indication for overall channel gain reduction.