In piano roll view is it possible to see notes behind notes in same track?

yeto

Question

In piano roll view is it possible to see notes behind notes in the same track? Sometimes in piano roll view I will inadvertently overlap or place notes on top of each other by mistake. Is there something I can check that will give me an indication when I mistakenly do this?

Thank you,

yeto

11 answers to this question

If you bounce to clips - this should merge and note and controller data from different clips. There are a few CAL routines that remove duplicate data in the event you have exact note conditions at the same time stamp. You can also look at the  " event viewer " to see if you have duplicate notes at the same time stamp.

I think in the Piano roll -you would have to grab the note and pull it up or down to see for sure - hold shift while you do it to keep the time locked, it would be a good visual tool if over lapped or covered notes would light up a different way. Maybe a bright red splash color.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RBH said:

If you bounce to clips - this should merge and note and controller data from different clips. There are a few CAL routines that remove duplicate data in the event you have exact note conditions at the same time stamp. You can also look at the  " event viewer " to see if you have duplicate notes at the same time stamp.

I think in the Piano roll -you would have to grab the note and pull it up or down to see for sure - hold shift while you do it to keep the time locked, it would be a good visual tool if over lapped or covered notes would light up a different way. Maybe a bright red splash color.

Thank you for helping. The event viewer will solve my concern.

Thank you,
yeto

Yeto, I just mentioned this on your other thread about the Midi Indicators (Clip icons).

I mentioned the threat of double notes (midi notes on top of each other) when things get a bit sloppy. No worry though.

Others have mentioned some good suggestions. Buy default double notes in the Piano roll view are darker in color, problem is, not dark enough for a human eye to see O.o. A cal script works wonder to clean those up but I suggest getting in the habit of using Bounce to clips, it will solve 90% of your clip, double notes, 80 clips per track problems.

There are many times we want to keep smaller clips. Its because of tails and/or Slip edit data beyond the point of the clips boundary's.

But generally for midi, its less of a necessity. Once you have 2 or 3 clips (take note to ones on top of each other) that's when to use Bounce to clips. This will Heal your 2 or 3 clips in to 1 whole clip. it is also imperative for "future fool proof use".

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

There are many times we want to keep smaller clips. Its because of tails and/or Slip edit data beyond the point of the clips boundary's.

But generally for midi, its less of a necessity. Once you have 2 or 3 clips (take note to ones on top of each other) that's when to use Bounce to clips. This will Heal your 2 or 3 clips in to 1 whole clip. it is also imperative for "future fool proof use".

I will definitely study "bounce to clips". Thank you for taking time to help.

yeto