SSL Essentials Bundle

cclarry

On 2/12/2021 at 6:22 PM, cclarry said:

They are certainly not "late to the party", as they've been around for years.  Current Version is 6+...
They've just never really been on deep discount before.  And who would know better how to emulate
what they build better than the manufacturer?  Just sayin'....

IMO, CLA Mixhub sounds better than the SSL Native channel strip - plus it's got the whole Preamp section thing going on. On the other hand, Mixhub is a 4000E, while SSL Native is 9000J/K.

On the Bus Compressor side, the latest Buster SE from Analog Obsession is awesome - just engage the transformer, and it's killer. It's also got more ratios available, plus a whole bunch of other features. And it's free - or donate what you will.

With the Waves prices on one side, more Wave level PA sales, on the other, it seems SSL have been convinced to get back to Earth, at least temporarily.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, Soundwise said:

Let's see. I have this combo in following flavors:

1. Cakewalk ProChannel modules;
  2. Nomad ASR;
  3. T-Racks 5;
  4. Waves SSL and CLA MixHub;
  5. Plugin alliance SSL ;
  6. maybe some other versions I don't keep in mind.

I doubt these "late-to-the-party" products from the original hardware manufacturer can be a game changer.  I might be wrong. Any good reason to add them to the collection?

1. SSL Native

2. Analog Obsession BusterSE

3. Slate Digital Buss Compressor FG-Grey

4. Overloud G Compressor

5. Cakewalk PC

6. T-Racks Bus Compressor

I've also tried the Native Instruments Vintage Bus Compressor, didn't like it at all. My favorites - BusterSE, and G Comp. SSL Native is great, but rather limited in features. Surprisingly, don't get along with the FG-Grey, and don't much like the IK Bus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

Overloud plugs, especially, GEM series, are top-notch.

I've been watching for years and they're never on any sort of decent sale.  I got the EQ550 as a freebie a few years ago when it came out and quite like it. I found the EQ84 on a one off sale at Time & Space, I think. But nothing else that I've found that gets their price point below my pain threshold.   But I'm cheap.

Same with Breverb 2.  I have the CW freebie and like it a lot, but I've given up looking for a decent sale on that one too.  Now there's way too many other good reverbs for cheaper... 

24 minutes ago, mibby said:

I've been watching for years and they're never on any sort of decent sale.  I got the EQ550 as a freebie a few years ago when it came out and quite like it. I found the EQ84 on a one off sale at Time & Space, I think. But nothing else that I've found that gets their price point below my pain threshold.   But I'm cheap.

Same with Breverb 2.  I have the CW freebie and like it a lot, but I've given up looking for a decent sale on that one too.  Now there's way too many other good reverbs for cheaper... 

Same boat for me. I like the GEM stuff but it always remains out of reach $wise

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Thanks, Olaf! I'll check that little buster against the big boys.

Overloud plugs, especially, GEM series, are top-notch. These guys know to code.

Yeah, they're great. I also use TH-U, and it sounds awesome. I only wish they had an IR based cab simulator - much like mixIR or the new Amplitube - instead of that horrible IR browser. I like their LA-2A. I'm a bit disappointed with Tapedesk - I mean I like the concept, the features, the overall sound is OK, but I don't quite like what it does to the highs - there's some room for improvement there. On the other hand, I haven't seen too many tape plugins that I like, so - I imagine that's harder to get right, and that tape is one of their first generations.

The problem is, just like everybody says, Overloud is pretty expensive.

• Like 2

Personally, I love their GEM plugins.

I would recommend waiting for a sale. There was a time a few years ago when they put a different GEM on sale every week, but more recently their sales coincide with the 'main' sales (e.g. Black Friday, etc). If you already have a GEM, you can further discount the discount price with a code that's available when you log in (I'm pretty sure it's the same for everyone, but I'm not going to post it).

• Like 2