Please help!! Calkwalk unusable after update "Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3"

Brian Zdunowski

I made the mistake of clicking update when I saw there was a new version of Calkwalk available and now I have no Calkwalk. The update downloads and then the install starts but right at the end I get back to back errors 

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

I Googled this and followed every thing I saw to fix it with no luck. Because the update removes your old version first now I have no Calkwalk. I can of course click Ignore on each one of these and then I have Calkwalk but its a lot of DLL errors that I am clicking ignore to and I am sure something would not work right. I have Windows 10 x64 current on all windows updates. No antivirus only Windows Defender.

I am to the point now of needing to go back to my over DAW but I love Calkwalk please help. 

Error.jpg

Edited by Brian Zdunowski

56 minutes ago, michheld said:

Have you tried to install the newest version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64)?

see also

This happens to many applications from time to time. This package is not automatically updated with win updates...

All the best 2 U

The newest no I have not where would I find that? 

Edited by Brian Zdunowski

6 hours ago, michheld said:

Have you tried to install the newest version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64)?

see also

This happens to many applications from time to time. This package is not automatically updated with win updates...

All the best 2 U

Same issue even with the manual update you suggested

There’s a catch to the latest version and it involves an install of some Microsoft software. It should prompt you during the install and it takes a few minutes. Read the release notes it explains why. 
I’ll put @Noel Borthwick here and hopefully he can explain it better than me 

but it might be your firewall or antivirus block it 

Edited by John Vere

9 hours ago, John Vere said:

There’s a catch to the latest version and it involves an install of some Microsoft software. It should prompt you during the install and it takes a few minutes. Read the release notes it explains why. 
I’ll put @Noel Borthwick here and hopefully he can explain it better than me 

but it might be your firewall or antivirus block it 

Any help you or Noel can give I would appreciate it 

Error 3 means "path not found". Nullproxy.DLL or one of its associated dependencies is missing.

Looking at nullproxy.dll's dependencies, I see that most of them are standard Windows files, which aren't likely to be an issue. It does, however, also have the expected dependencies of the C++ runtime libraries. michheld's intuition regarding the C++ distribution may be on the mark.

Normally, if the runtime libraries need installing, the application's installer takes care of that automatically. Sometimes, though, it fails, and it's usually a Windows permissions issue. I would suggest starting with a re-installation of Cakewalk as Administrator. 

• Great Idea 1

If anyone else ever has this issue in the future here is the fix straight from Cakewalk support which fixed this issue. I already had the newest C++ so repairing all the older versions did the trick

Thanks for reaching out. This is a common code relating to a Windows Update error which corrupts the C++ libraries necessary to run Cakewalk by BandLab. We recommend using the repair tool to restore any potentially corrupt files.

Windows 10 users can:

Search Windows (bottom left) Apps & Features

Type "2017" into the Search this list function, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable should appear.

Click "Modify", which will open a new window.

Click "Repair"

Repeat steps 2-4 with the 2015 redistributable if needed.

If you would rather perform this task via Control Panel (or if you're using Windows 7 or

Open the Control Panel.

Click Programs and Features.

Select the program that needs to be repaired.

At the top of the table, click Change.

In the dialog box, click Repair.

In either case, you may also consider replacing these files with newer files directly from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

• 11 months later...