Ad/da converts no preamps

Bad Mac

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

reputation, reputation, reputation.... 

There's only one documented flaw with RME stuff. One of their interfaces, either by design or mistake would send 60v DC through the line outs, which ended with RME paying to fix a phono preamp and subsequently discontinuing that product.

16 hours ago, Bad Mac said:

Why did you guys choose RME over MOTU? As much as I don't want to change, I may have to soon.

For starters, RME uses FPGA as DACs instead ot off-the-shelf DACs like everyone else does. That allows them greater control over how audio conversion is done and lower latencies, since they can just optimize the FPGA for that task. Their Hammerfall HDSPe card has the lowest round trip latency of any past of current interface in the market today and you also had features no other manufacturer did. On their audio interfaces, I believe you can still use all inputs and outputs at the same time.

In fairness MOTU has a good reputation and their pricing appears to be substantially less than RME.
I just took a look over to Sweetwater and kind of did an "apples to apples" comparison.
I've been in the RME camp (UFX and BabyFace here) for a long time (bought both before the "newer" versions were available).
I can see where someone looking to upgrade their I/O would take a good hard look at MOTU.
I use and know RME, so I'm comfortable recommending same...

t

Anybody have the RME ARC controller?
I hate when I adjust something in TotalMix and forget to "click" in Cake again and lose "focus".
Remember, when I start Record or Playback, I'm using the 1884 transport 😎, not the moose 🙃

I´ll join the RME-praise choir.

I bought my Fireface 400 in 2007, I had to replace the PSU a couple of years ago but other than that it´s been smooth sailing all the way - even though they replaced it (with UC/UCX) around 2010/11 they released drivers (which work fine here with the latest W10 Pro updates) as late as 2019, that´s commitment to the customers and the products.

Depending on your needs I´d look at the RME HDSPe AIO Pro, RME ADI-8 QS, Digiface AVB or Digiface USB

A  RME Raydat here,no converters or preamps but very reliable and lots of ins and outs. 

4x ADAT I / O 192kHz capable (S / MUX4) + SPDIF I / O 192kHz capable and AES / EBU I / O 192kHz capable

2x MIDI I / O

Up to 72 input and output channels can be used simultaneously.

Edited by Pragi

I learned the W hot key in totalmix and it really helps.

Flipping between routing scenes is nice.

Sometimes i use the side chain on a compressor and forget to turn it off when i don't want it. So now when i flip to the totalmix settings without the side chain, i just send the same signal to the compressor as the side chain so it doesn't matter if i forget the button on the compressor.

Confusing but someone will get it.

I love my gear. Some day, i will get a UFX. My ucx fairly rocks.

I love looping back the spidf so i have an always on digital loop. I can rout to any audio input like skype or zoom. I can share audio from my pc while sharing my screen so i can mix real time with someone not in my space.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 6:17 PM, DeeringAmps said:

All seriousness aside 🙃

So i see you use FW1884 control. so questions for you:  Are you using an RME interface and the FW1884 as a control surface? And I am guessing the RME sound quality is better than the FW1884?

Also, i used the firewire install to windows 10 tutorial. that was invaluable for me to get the tascam working on my new computer. So if you are the author, thank you !! 

Edited by Bad Mac
  • Thanks 1