distortion when panning?

AB77

Hi everyone. I have had a weird thing happen.  I was checking out two AEA r44ce mics.  I recorded flute and then drum.  When I pan the left and right mic - there is a strange distortion that appears.  When I center both tracks - it goes away! 

Any thoughts?  I am trying to reboot my system.  Using a lynx aurora 16n (the newer one) with thunderbolt.  This one has got me stumped!

Why would the distortion go away when both tracks are centers and not panned even if I raise the volume?

Edited by Alan Bachman

That is weird with a beard. The only thing that comes to mind is that somewhere along the way, the noise you're hearing is 180 degrees out of phase on each side. When you center both, it gets cancelled.

I don't know where along the chain this could be coming from, but hit the big button to disable all FX and see if it still happens. If it does, examine the audio file(s) to see if the distortion is present on each side. Maybe load the audio file up in an audio editor like Audacity or whatever you have. This will tell you whether the distortion is baked into the recording. You can also try pulling down left and right one at a time in the Hardware section of Cakewalk's console and see if the distortion appears.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Starship Krupa.  Here is another interesting finding:  If I record both mics to one track as a stereo track -  no problem.

But when I record the left mic on track 1 and the right mic on track 2 - the problem is there when I play back both Tracks 1 and 2!